How to join 2 ends of 5mm round leather ?

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
DSCF5562.jpg

DSCF5563.jpg

I want to use this leather for a lanyard for my stricker and firesteel but cant work out a tidy way of joining the ends ?

knots are too big and not secure , crimping maybe ?

are there any methods or ideas out there ?

k.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
superglue! - or better still superglue and a short length of (brass?) tube superglued over the top to add more strength ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You beat me to it!
I would also staple or pin the leather together to ensure a bit of shear strength - cut the leather at an angle, staple it, soak it in Superglue and while it is still wet slide the join inside the handle of the firesteel :)
If that comes apart - retire and join a monestary!

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Whilst hiding the leather inside the handle is a top call I'd be more inclined to use a bit of rapid drying epoxy rather than superglue. Fit one half, add the epoxy, push the next bit in to join then leave to set.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
how about splicing the ends together?

you could sew the middle of the splice then superglue the whole lot?

Andy

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Ah, but epoxy will hold the join in the top of the handle and is water resistant.

How about using both? Or is that too germanically over-engineered for you?

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
You could do the superglue on the slant and then,drill the firesteel a 1/16" bigger and epoxy the superglued portion into the firesteel.If you fancy it you could always drill a couple of 1/16" dia holes through the leather and form epoxy rivets inside the firesteel hole.

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
John had the right of it when he said to staple it. Thats the method that was used on leather drive belts for sewing machines and the like, the staple for 5mm leather would probably be 12mm or a little more long. Glue the ends first, makes for the strongest joint.

Of course it isnt the most attractive method, to fit with the look, i would drill a length of antler and then glue the ends into that, would be decorative, functional and match the rest :)

ATB
Dave

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
Well gents I cut the 2 ends at a slant as suggested and stapled them together witha paper type stapler and tomorrow I will find some epoxy resin and glue it into the fire steel antler as I think all the movement needed will be in the steel end so I will leave that the "running" end :)

I love the round leather cord as its got that "should last a lifetime" feel about it :)

I will get the finished article picture up tomorrow , That was a great amount of contributions guys !!!! we done it :D

rancid badger

there are special "hooks" ( I believe they are, to all intents and purposes staples) which you use to join round leather belting.

If you want some, give leprevo a ring

R.B.

PS- actually, thinking about your actual project, Shewies suggestion of making a tube from antler would go really well.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE