How thick is paracord?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Ive measured it and it seems to flatten out

3 or 4 mm??

sorry but that is like asking "how thick is a piece of string"?

some is 1.5mm
some is a tad over 3mm
US paracord (type III cord) is 3.9mm

you can get paracord that is 5mm thick, I guess it depends on who made it, and for what use it is intended to be put

B

bosknurft

As another question... what's the point of paracord? Why use it over ordinary cord?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
It's a known quantity. It has a properly rated breaking strain.
people use it because it ties well, and is resistant to breaking.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
As another question... what's the point of paracord? Why use it over ordinary cord?

I think the main advantage of paracord, is that it is a known quantity. When buying string you have to rely on so many variables that, what works with one batch, will not work with another batch, even from the same source. Para cord is made to exacting military requirements, and as long as you buy the proper stuff, you can insomuch as you can rely on anything, you can rely on it being 'consistent'.

The "paracord" often found in shops is not genuine paracord as is does not have the seven strands as its inner cord. The tested static weight strength of proper "paracord” is 550lb, the 4 strand "paracord" has a tested strength of 450lb and the "civilian paracord" with no inner strands has a tested strength of 200lb. The tests used to determine the breaking strength are carried out under ideal conditions and a using a "static weight" (a continuous even pull on the rope until it breaks). The real 'in use' strength is between 10 and 20 percent of the tested strength. Tie a knot in it and you reduce that strength even further.
Some poorly tied knots half the strength, even a well-tied bowline reduces the strength of a rope by 30%

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Originally Posted by bosknurft

I really do not know why, most things I see tied up with paracord could function and use a much weaker, less expensive cord to do the same job, and one that if any is left/dropped/etc will rot away.
Paracord has its place and uses but for most applications such as lashings, it’s not really needed. I have even seen people that carry a hank of it around and won’t cut it because it’s too precious to chop it up, so what’s the point in buying it.
I truly think that for most applications a cheaper cord can be used and the great paracord need is a myth, or a fashion, or a marketing exercise LOL
BTW 550 paracord also stretches about 30%, coupled that with tadpoles information on knoting strengths and its becomes less of the all singing/dancing cord that many people think it is.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
The tests used to determine the breaking strength are carried out under ideal conditions and a using a "static weight" (a continuous even pull on the rope until it breaks). The real 'in use' strength is between 10 and 20 percent of the tested strength. Tie a knot in it and you reduce that strength even further.
Some poorly tied knots half the strength, even a well-tied bowline reduces the strength of a rope by 30%

True for paracord.
And true for all other cords too, whether the cords strength has been measured or not...

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
True for paracord.
And true for all other cords too, whether the cords strength has been measured or not...

that is my point, with paracord you know (roughly) just how much weight you can apply, and can factor in this knowledge, as to how you use it. however with unknown cord, you don't, and will always come unstuck.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Wow, I haven't posted in ages. Gee, I wonder if anyone here actually remembers me?

But about paracord, I don't know what the civvy stuff is like, but in my garage I have two large rolls of military stuff. One is green, the other is white. I don't know about the '550' designation but I'd say its about 5mm or so in width. Inside the sleeve it has 7 smaller white strands which I assume give paracord its strength.

Anyway, that's just my "haven't posted in months, but I'll do it now for the heck of it" two cents.

Cheers,

Adam

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Wow, I haven't posted in ages. Gee, I wonder if anyone here actually remembers me?

But about paracord, I don't know what the civvy stuff is like, but in my garage I have two large rolls of military stuff. One is green, the other is white. I don't know about the '550' designation but I'd say its about 5mm or so in width. Inside the sleeve it has 7 smaller white strands which I assume give paracord its strength.

Anyway, that's just my "haven't posted in months, but I'll do it now for the heck of it" two cents.

Cheers,

Adam

Adam? That guy from Canada that used to post prat stuff? :)

Behave yourself.

Burnt Ash

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE