How the Wild West was won with Ray Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Very enjoyable show, well thought out programme and a nice change to see Ray back on TV.

Jim.

Agree great programme, I wonder if Ray has ever thought about walking the Appalachian trail or parts of it?? Now THAT would be a great series IMO.👍
I thought they had cured his Lymmes disease but I read it can't be cured only controlled..?? Don't know much about it tbh

Sent from somewhere?

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
That was a great watch; exactly the kind of thing he does best.

It was nice to see what the Appalachians look like, having just finished Bryson's "Walk in the woods".

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I enjoyed the show, well produced and presented. Well worth my license fee although I don't much enjoy subsidising other viewers who exploit a legal loophole to get their TV for 'free'.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Just watched it. Hoofing show, quality production and great filming. I liked his wildlife stuff but theres better presenters.

gisburn20

Jan 27, 2006
Wellingborough
Well for a wildlife I prefer Attenborough or even springwatch et al, but I do like Rays presenting style, filming wildlife programmes would be different skill / different production team I guess.

Jim

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
For wildlife, it will be near impossible for anybody to ever match Marlin Perkins and Jim Fowler on the original Wild Kingdom.

A close second though would be one of the hunting shows.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I know I'm going against the grain, but it didn't really grab me. His wildlife program was a bit like that as well for me.

I think I was expecting something a bit more focussed on individual subjects, like each episode of his Northern Wilderness series. This just seemed a bit more skimmed across his covered subjects.

Just as a side note, does anyone remember a documentary from the 80's about delinquent kids in America, getting the choice of going to juvenile detention or having to take part in a trip acting as cavalry troopers from the 1860's, that took a few weeks. That was very interesting at the time.

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
I know I'm going against the grain, but it didn't really grab me. His wildlife program was a bit like that as well for me.

I think I was expecting something a bit more focussed on individual subjects, like each episode of his Northern Wilderness series. This just seemed a bit more skimmed across his covered subjects.
[...]

I agree Badger. Seemed disjointed to me, like the script for the voice-over had been written on the back of a beer mat, and glossed over a lot of stuff that could have been of interest for the sake of general interest/production time. The frequency of RM camera shots rather than the subject matter bugged me too. Possibly indicative of current tv like.

Saying that i'll watch the next one :)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I actually enjoyed it!! Wasn't sure if I would or not, do you guys think he is coming more away from showing his skills and becoming more of a historian now? I do miss watching him do cool things with his knife!! Although he did make the dart I guess!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Just watched and I absolutely loved it. Have grown to love Ray's laid back style of presentation. Beautifully filmed and incredibly interesting regardless of knowing the subject material well. Very much looking forward to the remaining episodes and the book.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE