How sharp is your Knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
The Mora's are very sharp, made my first sheath (and only so far) for one, in the process I managed to insert the knife about 20mm in to the fleshy side of the palm of my hand.

Once the missus had patched me up I then dug out the black tape and covered the blade with it, just like I was suppossed to according to the tutorial I had read, it's fun learning new things :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Paul,

We've all been there mate - took a tip right off my little finger once when chopping with a Sabatier 10" chefs knife. I suggest that if the wound is still open, a good rinse out with something like Savlon wound wash or dilute Dettol would be a good idea. You could then butterfly it closed with streristrips or narrow pieces of sticking plaster or micropore.

Tip for next time - get the wound closed quickly and keep it closed. Wash out any gunk with wound wash close and apply pressure and get stitched - it takes a lot longer to heal if its not closed in a timely way (says the guy with more scars than that guy in Jaws)

Red

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Ouch,

The last time I cut my self was the first time I needed stitches, I had five stitches in my left hand (it's always my left hand!) between the thumb and wrist, what sort of knife, and how sharp? it was a brick, an engineering brick. I was doing some work in the garden and picked up a section of old wall that promptly slipped through my hands, three hours in A+E, Apart from that I have had several cuts that have needed hospital attention; fortunately none of the knives I use outdoors have caused me any nasty injuries, just the occasional nick.

I think that if it needs treatment you should get it, if that means hours in A+E go for it, I know of someone (now dead) who injured his foot at work, it got infected and over the next 20+ years they took both his legs, his fingers 1 at a time and eventually his arms to the shoulder, I don't know what infection it was but it all started because of that one injury, so get it cleaned and treated as soon as possible, what is a little time compared to a finger lost or worse.

LS

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
A word of thanks to those offering advice and concern about my recent accident. :You_Rock_

I've had it looked at. The nice nurse cleaned it out and put some steri strips on it for me. She to was surprised, and a little impressed I think, at how well the knife had cut through skin and nail with equal ease. However, I couldn't bring myself to tell her I did it fashioning a spoon from Birch, she didn't seem the type to understand such pursuits, so I mumbled something about chopping stuff in the kitchen, I feels so ashamed!!! :lmao:

I got told off for leaving it so long with mutterings that the strips may not work and warnings of keeping eyes on it, yes you guys were right.

Wife is now considering to pay the children to baby sit me when she is working, mental note hide my car keys before she goes out? :nana:

Anyway thanks again, plus I've enjoyed your stories of injuries so keep them coming perhaps sharing will be a relaese from the shame felt by us all.

Paul

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
pibbleb said:
I got told off for leaving it so long with mutterings that the strips may not work and warnings of keeping eyes on it, yes you guys were right.

Lol...only coz we've all done it ;)

Red is spot on with what he says here:

British Red said:
Tip for next time - get the wound closed quickly and keep it closed. Wash out any gunk with wound wash close and apply pressure and get stitched - it takes a lot longer to heal if its not closed in a timely way

My cut was stitched and dressed in under a couple of minutes and not opened or played with for the next three days...it really makes a big difference.

Really glad you got it sorted and it's all ok :)

All the best,

Bam. :D

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
dear all,
since we're sharing 'minor mishap' stories - ive just come out of hospital, having slipped while finishing a nock on the top of an ash shortbow. much impressed the surgeons who kept saying 'it must have been a very sharp knife'. went through one tendon deep into knuckle with a much-loved mora. applied 1st aid promptly(kit always to hand when carving) and so saved index finger. tendons stitched back together arm in plaster, no work for 2 weeks at least, plus lots of codene(!). learning experience! - wife came home and thought there'd been a murder! small son not impressed...

N

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nyayo said:
dear all,
since we're sharing 'minor mishap' stories - ive just come out of hospital, having slipped while finishing a nock on the top of an ash shortbow. much impressed the surgeons who kept saying 'it must have been a very sharp knife'. went through one tendon deep into knuckle with a much-loved mora. applied 1st aid promptly(kit always to hand when carving) and so saved index finger. tendons stitched back together arm in plaster, no work for 2 weeks at least, plus lots of codene(!). learning experience! - wife came home and thought there'd been a murder! small son not impressed...

N

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :Wow:

Hope you will make a full recovery mate!

Really - I think we should think about a group buy for Kevlar gloves...you know the sort of knitted ones? Anyone have a source?

Red

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Nyayo said:
dear all,

N

Wow I bow down to your far superior injury.

Hope you get well soon.

As for group buy for Kevlar gloves maybe! better still rubber knives.

Paul

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Well guys, I've done it again!

Managed to chop through the muscle in my right hand which is between my thumb joint and finger joint.

Wife not very impressed Doctor hugely impressed, but he was a fella so what do you expect.

Anyway three stitches on my wife is threatening to ground me! :(

Seriously though, please be careful, don't use sharp tools when over tired or rushing I was both and hadn't been a awke long from a quick nap.

Be safe guys and learn from Uncle silly boy! :cool:

Pib

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i gave myself a nice diagonal cut on my left index finger. right to the bone across the first knuckle joint.
i did it with my svord drop point (convex edge stropped with jewellers rouge). so sharp i didn't feel it. i only noticed I'd cut myself when i noticed the pool of blood on the floor.
i was using the knife to split kindling for my new Kelly kettle (i was giving it it's first fill/boil)
fortunately i had my first aid kit handy complete with steri-strips to patch myself up.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
My knife will strip the hair off the back of my arm with ease.

I notice that some people strop their blades using jewellers rouge. Is this used with a normal leather strop in the same fashion, and what advantage does it give to just using the leather strop on it's own please?

How expensive is it as well, will most jewellers sell you the stuff?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
AA,

Jewellers rouge is a very fine abrasive / polishing paste. In effect it gives you a mirror shine on your knife edge - finer than anything you can ahieve with paper or stones or steel. Rubbing some into you strop (which can be a leather belt or just a piece of card) gives a great final finish.

You can buy rouge from B&Q (in the tool section in a little pot in the dremmel area). Pink and green buffing compound (like a large wax crayon - this will last a lifetime) does exactly the same job - its available from Axminster tools (online). Drop me a PM if you need links etc.

Red

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
pibbleb - Glad the fingers on the mend. Take comfort inthe fact that if it needs amputating you've got a nice sharp knife to do it with :D

bambodoggy said:
I do always have a good FAK to hand and used these:
83_1_b.jpg

Which I've found to be the fastest healing plasters I've ever used.

I cut over an inch long incision and about 1/4 deep or more 7 days ago...it's no more than a minor scratch now...I'm truely amazed! :eek:

Does anyone else use these? If not then I strongly recomend them :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Hi Bam

I've not seen those plasters. Can I ask where abouts you source them from?

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
First time I cut myself was with my SAK at about the age of 10. Had three butterfly stitches at A&E. Never cut myslef again, until recently. I was useing the diamond file on my leatherman wave to shape the blade of an opinel!!! How dumb can you get??? Cut myself very deeply, but put a standard elastoplast on tightly after washing it, and is now ok. Feel like a plonker though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE