How sharp is your Knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I got an £8.50 Frosts Mora knife on Friday so I have spent the weekend using it loads and having loads of knife fun, even in the rain, but today I got to appreciate just how sharp the knife is or in fact still is.

Whilst showing my kids my carving skills I sliced the top of my finger. Not only slicing skin but well into my nail.

Firstly, I was genuinely impressed at how deep the cut was and how sharp the knife still was, however, this was swiftly replaced by shearing pain and being impressed about the amount of blood I was losing :eek: .

Thank god I'm booked on to the first aid course in September.

Pib

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Glad you still have a finger. It's always a good idea to have a first aid kit handly when dealing with sharps.

No matter how experienced you are a moments inattention can lead to some serious blood loss.

The humble mora holds an edge well and takes a good beating.

£8.50 is a reasonable price where did you get it from if i may ask?

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Good knife, good price and good grief, sorry to hear about your mishap. I sure do like the cutting ability of the mora blades. Even after lots of use, they still have a usable edge and it doesn't take much to get them back to hair popping condition.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
The knife I use for carving is shaving sharp but doesn't hold it well. I'm looking at getting a few more knives, including a Mora, and practising my sharpening.

And it's good to see you're making such an effort to teach your kids about sharps ;) :lmao:

Where did you get a Mora for £8.50??

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
My six year old daughter made me feel as stupid as only a six year old can after but I can see medcine in her future. :lmao:

I have lied though and I feel I need to fess up. It was £8.99 not £8.50, sorry only got it Friday but memory fading already it's sad really. lol There was also some postage and package.

I got it on eBay from this guy, http://stores.ebay.co.uk/One-stop-SURVIVAL-shop_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amewaQ3amesstQQtZkm
quick he is not, but got it in the end and it's the real deal so thats cool. It worked out as the cheapest deal I'd seen around after some searching.

However, whilst I was moaning about the wait some kindly sole sent me this link
http://www.baconsdozen.co.uk/knives.htm

I can't recall who sent it but it was someone from here. I haven't bought from them, but I'm sick at the prices they charge. From a quick look the blue and black version of mine is £8.00 and the red and black is something like £6.00. so that's sickenly good.

I'm really impressed with the knife and glad of the purchase. I'd recommend to everyone, but would also suggest you follow Waynes advice and have a first aid box to hand, or stump depending on the accident! :D . Or be like me and have a 6 year old to hand so that they can laugh very loudly at your rather silly antics.

Pib

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Wayne said:
No matter how experienced you are a moments inattention can lead to some serious blood loss.

You're not wrong there Mate....did you hear about me running my new bow saw through my hand last weekend? Lucky it was a fresh greenwood blade and made a very clean cut.
I can't remember the last time I cut myself and certainly not this badly but as you say it happens to us all sooner or later if we use sharps ;)

I do always have a good FAK to hand and used these:
83_1_b.jpg

Which I've found to be the fastest healing plasters I've ever used.

I cut over an inch long incision and about 1/4 deep or more 7 days ago...it's no more than a minor scratch now...I'm truely amazed! :eek:

Does anyone else use these? If not then I strongly recomend them :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
bambodoggy said:
You're not wrong there Mate....did you hear about me running my new bow saw through my hand last weekend? Lucky it was a fresh greenwood blade and made a very clean cut.
I can't remember the last time I cut myself and certainly not this badly but as you say it happens to us all sooner or later if we use sharps ;)

I do always have a good FAK to hand and used these:
83_1_b.jpg

Which I've found to be the fastest healing plasters I've ever used.

I cut over an inch long incision and about 1/4 deep or more 7 days ago...it's no more than a minor scratch now...I'm truely amazed! :eek:

Does anyone else use these? If not then I strongly recomend them :)

Cheers,

Reduces scarring?!?

But then you'll have nothing to impress the ladies with :D ;)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Pibbleb,

Don't feel bad about slicing your finger with your Mora, I did the same with mine and I still have a large scar and a good portion of the cut finger completely numb from where I damaged some nerves. Let's see....Mora Clipper, check. Shaving sharp, check. Slice left index finger behind knuckle down to the bone, check. Sever a a small artery, check. Lots of blood, check. Get five stitches in the Emergency ward, check. Get infection into finger, check. Take penicllin and get an upset tummy, check.

No, I'm not at all making this up. I learned the hard way just how sharp a knife can really be.

Anyway, I learned my lesson but for the most part I'm thankful that my Mora was sharp at that moment and not dull, because if it were my finger probably would've been a lot worse off. A sharp knife is a safe knife, or something along those lines. A dull knife is a dangerous one.

Adam

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Glad you didn't get the knife from that link Pippleb I might have felt guilty about you slicing the finger lol. My theory is that all mora's have a Viking blood lust curse placed on them during the forging as i've yet to meet anyone who's not drawn blood with one yet lol.
Dave.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
When the knife arrived my wife pointed out that all this stuff that keeps coming through doesn't come with instructions!

Well I laughed, and proceeded to jibe her the rest of the day, as any good husband should, about how to use a knife blah blah blah.

Anyway when I showed her my finger all I got was a knowing smile and I'm sure I detected a shake of the head. Maybe she'll sorry for me today. ;)

As for the curse, that does seem to make a lot of sense hopefully the vikings will now be satisfied.

Pib

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Might I point out that Crook knives are worse (especially when sharpening). I have invested in a kevlar glove!

Red

laurens ch

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
south wales united kingdom
Sounds nasty, I guess it could have been worse if your nail hadn’t been in the way. I often read that a sharp knife is safer, but I also read that a cut from a razor sharp knife causes the blood to clot less easily so I’m not sure what to believe. What do others think?

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I have to say that the cut isn't looking all that good today, with lots of bruising, that surprised me! and rather than heeling shut it's opening, although the people sitting around me at work keep telling me to stop pocking it so I might not be helping.

Having said all of that I would imagine that a blunt knife would have made for a far more grotesque injury.

Paul

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Chicks dig scares don't they?

Well I'm starting to think I my have to visit the Doc's but I'm kinda holding out. If it gets any worse I'll need to get it sorted, as got jury service next week and a dripping finger isn't going to impress the judge me thinks! :rolleyes:

Paul

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
pibbleb said:
I have to say that the cut isn't looking all that good today

Go and get it looked at Paul....you don't want infection to set in and it's no fun when you have a sore finger. You might need an antibiotic if infection has started and only your doc can give you this.

Your hands are very important and need looking after. ;)

It's great news that you've booked on the First Aid course with Wayne (I take it you're doing the BCUK one?) as you'll learn a lot from him....starting with how to sort cuts like that so they don't go septic lol :D

With my cut I stitched it (with the deep cut plasters NOT rambo style!lol) and covered it with the clear film and then taped around that with micropore to ensure it didn't move, I then wore a leather glove on my hand for the next three days (all still in the woods) only taking it off at night (the glove not the dressing), after three days I removed the dressing, bathed the wound and then redressed it. After another three days I removed the dressing and hey presto...you'd think it was a paper cut :lmao:
I had medi-wipes with me but as it was bleeding so profusely I made the decision not to waste time cleaning the wound only for it to bleed again...the blood flow seemed to be doing a good job of flushing the wound anyway!

I must have cut through the nerves as there was no pain when I did it and there has been none while it was healing and now that it has.

Let us know how your finger turns out Paul.

Cheers,

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Cheers for that Bam

Yeah you're right I need to see someone, called the surgery and have to phone again tomorrow as no room in the inn today. lol. I'm loathed to go to A&E or the walk in clinic as I'll be there for hours as I don't think it warrants that.

It is the Bcuk course I'm doing and really looking forward to it as well. I've done a couple of first aid courses before so should have dealt with it a bit better than I had.

I don't know what I was doing but I couldn't get my act together, not in a flapping way just couldn't take the blood or myself seriously, stupid really.

Paul (the div)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE