How not to ask permission to have a fire...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Regardless of this mans state of mind, it's people like this who will get the land owners up in arms about lighting fires in the countryside,if people can't act responsibily then i and the rest of the Scottish people will lose out on our rights to wild camp,light fires etc. I'm affraid that we live in a society where if someone makes a big thing about things like this, then our rights won't be long in getting revoked by politicians.

We are lucky here in Scotland that we have such a right to wildcamp/lights fires,so we could do without people like the chap in question.

I hope he got a good :buttkick: :nutkick: :twak: :slap:

Sorry about the rant :cussing:

Reactions: Toddy

synoptic

Sep 9, 2006
Manchester
Not to disregard the wrongs and rights of the whole situation but.... as Draven says:

I don't see how, even if he was drunk and grieving, he could possibly find a reason for laying a thirty foot pine across a fire...

Now, as a past student of literature (ahem :eek: :eek: ) ) I understand how the unreliable text can cause multiple subjective interpretations of any one objective fact... :lmao:

Basically, you can't draw too many conclusions from a short news-piece written by a journo who does what journos do - create fully formed reports from a skeleton of received facts...

Anyway, if we are to believe that this guy had a 30ft pine across his fire I ask myself:

a. Did he drag the pine to the fire
or
b. Did he create the fire around the tree

Supposing answer (a), then ask

How and with whose help and for what purpose?
If (b) was it to:

i. Burn the tree in half
or
ii. Provide a continually feedable fire

Or:

Maybe he dug a pit under the tree as a bivvi, lit a fire and the rangers misinterpreted it as an attempt to use it as fuel.​

Basically, until we know the full facts (which I doubt we will as we weren't there) we should maybe take the report with a pinch of salt.

Whatever the facts remember this:

Only two types of people raise a weapon to another person - an idiot, or somebody defending themselves (or another) from an idiot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE