How much water do you carry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Hey All

If you were going camping with a leisurely walk in (say only a couple of miles), 2 nights and three days camping, drinking water and cooking water and maybe using baby wipes or something for washing/up - How much water would you carry in?

I spend my life with a glass/bottle of water in my hand (or a beer), and ive only ever camped overnight. I'm not sure i could carry the amount of water i would use in 3 days!

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Guideine is 2 liters fluid consumption per person per day in the UK. This can include water in foods (soup?) as well as what you drink. So a starting point is 4 to 6 litres per person for the 3 days. Depending on the terrain carrying 6 kilos of water shouldn't be a problem if you can get it into or on your rucksack.

Baby wipes are a good alternative to a wash (I always carry a pack or two).

I take it there isn't a local water supply you could filter/treat and use?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
In addition to some water I always carry lightweight empty containers (usually two litre PET bottles like the ones that supermarkets sell carbonated water in). When I settle on a spot to camp, the water situation has been an essential part of the considerations and has by then been sorted so I know where I'll be able to fill the empty containers. Fortunately in the UK you can walk a fair way carrying three days' water. If you're going to leave your kit unattended while fetching water you might want to consider hiding it. See the sticky threads about water on this site for more information about things like collecting water, making it safe to drink, etc.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Depends where I'm going TBH.

I usually have a 3L platypus in my bergan and would aim to replen when on site. Having said that, my usual playground has no potable water, so I work on 3L per day. I sometimes leave extra in the car, 20 mins walk away, and if I need extra just go and get it.

HTH,

Simon

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
as little as possible, usually just a litre, but i'm just the same as you martin, always got a drink of some description to hand (coffee usually) and the thought of carrying enough water for three days isn't really worth considering for me (how people manage on a couple of litres a day i have no idea, i tend to get through about that much coffee before i'm even awake). as ged said water supply is a big consideration when choosing a camp, i always carry an empty 10 litre water bag and first job (usually before i've even thought about setting up camp) is to go and get that filled. ideal situation is to be able to go and find a tap, or at least a good clean natural water source that i can quickly fill up at. unfortunately that's not always possible, at my usual solo camp site i rely on water dripping from a rock face so i have to get my water bottle under there as soon as i arrive or i'm running out as soon as i get there. water has always been concern of mine when camping, much more so than food, but with a little forethought it doesn't have to present a problem at all.

cheers

stuart

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Thanks for info guys. Sadly the location im going has no water supply of any kind. And to be honest, since im not 'going bush', i could just walk out and pop to the shops.....camping in the wilderness hey!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I always have two nato bottles in my bag and a milbank bag with some means to sterilise, i also have a rolled up platypus bag that has a zip lock bottom, very handy for water collection,

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....Sadly the location im going has no water supply of any kind......

where are you camping? britain's a very soggy place, if you know where to look you can find water pretty much anywhere. are you able to dig a gypsy well? do you think there's a chance of rain?

stuart

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
For such a situation I generally carry in about 12l!
A crippling weight but often I would have to make 2 supply trips or rely on rain to top up my supplies...it always rains on my camps...
As I have a history of kidney stones I have to be very careful about keeping my hydration levels well up :(

LennyMac

Jun 10, 2010
Kenley, Surrey
I agree with NigelTM that 2 litres is the very least. I am always amazed at just how much water I get through when in camp. As I am hiking for most of the day, I tend not to carry too much until I know when I am camping, then resupply at the last available town or village.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
my usual spot has a brook for washing, cooking rat packs etc,...and a pond, but its a bit murky

i take a US style 2 litres carrier full,

and two old washed out wine bags in the pack sometimes,..the taps have come on and off fine about 10-15 times and still dont leak,..

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Sorry to hijack the thread.

I found a water supply poping out of the ground (out of side of a cliff). seems very clean. however there is yellowish residure on the rocks. To me, it looks like copper or something similar in the water that is rubbing off on the rocks as the water exits.

Could this be safe to drink (after boiling) ?

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Ive seen volcanic hot springs in New Zealand with the yellow stain around the water margins, caused i thought by sulphur. No volcanoes in the Northwest are there? ;)

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Sorry to hijack the thread.

I found a water supply poping out of the ground (out of side of a cliff). seems very clean. however there is yellowish residure on the rocks. To me, it looks like copper or something similar in the water that is rubbing off on the rocks as the water exits.

I'd avoid it if you are in a historical mining area. In my kneck of the woods there are hundreds of abandoned coal mines and the water coming out of them looks OK but leaves a yellow/orange residue on the streambeds. IIRC it's due to the metals and contaminants in the mines disolving into the water. All in all not a cool refreshing drink!

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I found a water supply poping out of the ground (out of side of a cliff). seems very clean. however there is yellowish residure on the rocks. To me, it looks like copper or something similar in the water...

Copper salts are usually green or blue (like on bronze) so it's probably not copper. If it's on the side of a cliff it's probably not coming out of a mine. What's on the top of the cliff?

Given its location I'd say there's a good chance but more investigation would be prudent. Look for the geology of the site (mineral deposits etc.) and the history (industry, farming etc. on the top of the cliff or nearby). You could take a sample and get it analyzed but taking a sample without contaminating it in the process isn't perfectly straightforward. It might be worth asking locals, especially older locals, if they know anything about the ground water in the area.

The yellow colour might just be from things like harmless iron ores being leached out. My kettles in France (in the Pyrenees) look disgusting after boiling the water down there. In the previous couple of centuries the area was a big source of iron ore.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
In planning a trip I tend to make sure there's water en route or at least a shortish walk from camp, I rarely carry much more than a litre if I'm honest, it's too bloody heavy.

I'd rather take a walk with the millbank bag and billy than hump water around on my back
wink.gif

If I'm taking the canoe then it's a different story, usually I take at least 15L for everyone to share

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE