How many Scouts can you get in a tipi???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Spent a fun weekend with the scouts, doing the usual bushcraft activities, like shelter building, preparing game, cooking etc. but this time it was a little colder, and at times a lot wetter...but not too bad..

Here's two of the boys harvesting pigeon breasts. the lad on the right was doing it for the first time, and on the left is an "old hand" showing him the ropes...
DSCF4739copy.jpg

Game stew broiling away...Venison, rabbit and pigeon with potatoes and veg....went down a treat...
DSCF4742copy.jpg

One of the selters
DSCF4743copy.jpg

Roast rabbit
DSCF4744copy.jpg

Showing them how it's done...
DSCF4754copy.jpg

what's all the fuss about
DSCF4755copy.jpg

Game stew scout style
DSCF4757copy.jpg

In the tipi while outside hail and thunder
DSCF4768copy.jpg

Myself and two other leaders spent the night in the tipi, while the scouts bivvied down in their own shelters
DSCF4775copy.jpg

Great fun weekend...and keen to get out again soon.....

Reactions: sam_acw and JonnyP

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Another bunch of great photos!! I'm getting spoilt tonight! Stovie, good work there, I love the way your coffee pot is always in your shots, you seriously get your moneys worth out of that little coffee pot! :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fantastic picture as always Stovie you are a constant source of inspiration mate. Would really love to come and play one day...

Red

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
very impressed with the female scout skining skills. It pus my female explorers to shame.

The scouts love this sort of stuff. If they dont get this sort of activity as a scout IMHO its really tough to get them interested whne they become explorers. Keep up the great work Stovie!

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
I wish I had had the same opportunities when I was a scout. Keep up the inspirational work, a group of children who have been given a great start in bush craft. :35:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Inspirational stuff.

Now, just how do I get my daughter to realise that actually she does like camo clothing and in something other than GAP pink!

Cheers

Kane

Forager
Aug 22, 2005
UK
Blimey my old Boys Brigade camp was nothing like that!!!! Nice job, how did their night in the home made shelters go? and why weren't the adults in a home made bivi to :lmao: lol

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Thanks everyone. They certainly are a great bunch of scouts. They're asking about the next camp already....

Here's the next RM
DSCF4748copy.jpg

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Kane said:
Blimey my old Boys Brigade camp was nothing like that!!!! Nice job, how did their night in the home made shelters go? and why weren't the adults in a home made bivi to :lmao: lol

They all slept really well in their shelters...dry and warm and were not up until 0700.

as for the adults, we DID sleep in a home-made bivi...the tipi :D

ship

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2005
NE UK
top work stovie n excellent photos, but jeez those "kids" put me to shame :You_Rock_
BTW, do all scout troops do this sort of thing? little ship,s 9yrs and would love it, i was never in the scouts so wouldn,t know (got kicked out the boys brigade twice tho :D )

ship ;)

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
ship said:
top work stovie n excellent photos, but jeez those "kids" put me to shame :You_Rock_
BTW, do all scout troops do this sort of thing? little ship,s 9yrs and would love it, i was never in the scouts so wouldn,t know (got kicked out the boys brigade twice tho :D )

ship ;)

Interestin you're in the NE ship. I too am from thereabouts (Alnwick to be precise...ish)...andf I too never got involved in any formal scout movement, just spent my childhood fishing, camping, snaring and dodging those that knew better... :D

Unfortunately, for all the possibilities, it appears that putting the "out" into scout is still a rare commodity, and it all depends on your local leaders, and what they perceive scouting to mean...or what they are comfortable with.

It's a difficult call, but I know what my scouts want (cos I ask them :rolleyes: ) and I do my best to deliver....

But I guess in answer to your question, NO, all scouts dont do this kind of thing...More's the pity :(

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
Hi Stovie
Grandson has just joined the cubs. Must see if I can run off some of these pics to show his leaders if you have no objection. Would love if they took it on-board and took his troop out for the odd weekends.

Rgds
Tutchi
:cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE