Kent Group May Outing - A weekend in the woods.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
With the success of our previous trip we decided to try for 2 nights out rather than just 1. The messages went out to rally the troops, and 3 people replied to say they would be going. Excellent. We have a plan.

Friday rolled round and as I started to pack my Brompton for a weekend in the woods, my twitter feed brought to my attention a severe weather warning. Not looking good for a 32k cycle ride to get to the RV. As the rain and wind battered the flat my housemate took sympathy on me and offered me a lift most of the way.

With the lift allowing me to leave later, by the time I started the ride the rain had stopped, and the sun was trying to shine through. I had a pleasant 7k ride to the woods.

The downpour had soaked everything, this was going to make a damp start to the weekend. Step 1, fire.

I had a brief forage for small dead standing in the immediate area round camp, poured a cap full of meths on it, and added a match. Repeating this a further two times got the fire going nicely, I quickly hid the evidence of my cheating, before sitting back to enjoy the fire and await the others.

Lyn was first to arrive. We had a discussion about where would be best to setup our camps. Decisions made, Lyn put up her tent, and I through up my tarp.

bivvitarp01_sm.jpg

My camp.

lyncamp01_sm.jpg

Lyn's camp.

Eventually Jim arrived, and started to pitch his Marquee um, Trailstar. As he did I pointed out the dead branch above. We concluded that it would be best to bring it down. Thus we had a quick game of how many bushcrafters does it take to throw a peg (best improvised weight I could find at short notice) attached to a piece of string, over a branch... Answer is 3...

Shelters up, branches made safe. Time for a brew.

brewup02_sm.jpg

I am still on the search for the best cook pot for various circumstances, and had brought with me a selection. After much discussion we concluded the collective now for camp cookware is an indecision...

pots01_sm.jpg

An indecision of pots.

Lyn pulled out her [thread=132795]grill[/thread] to cook her dinner, while I wrapped mine up and threw it in the embers.

grill01_sm.jpg

Dinner cooking, beers opened, we sat back to watch the sun go down, and enjoy the peaceful woods.

woodssunshine01_sm.jpg

Part of the conditions of our permission to use the woodland we were in was that we cleared some of the fallen trees that were blocking some of the paths. So on Saturday morning while I was still waking up, Lyn and Jim went for a walk with a saw.

Saturday was spent exploring the wood and collecting firewood. A bit more firewood than we actually needed in the end...

firewood01_sm.jpg

Fortunately as we are planning to come back here, we stashed some of the wood to make things easier next time.

I also took the time to experiment with my brew kit. The evernew burner I have is very thirsty, and I have been playing around with Jim's Starlyte stove. I had a play around with the various bits of kit I had to find a brew kit I was happy with. I think I'm converging on a hybrid of evernew kit and starlyte burner.

brewup01_sm.jpg

Jim had kindly left me his RAB Silwing tarp to play with, and I'd brought my RAB Siltarp 1 along. So we spent a while experimenting with the two tarps. The Silwing is nice, but I'm not sure it's as versatile as a rectangular tarp. In the woods I was able to see that the Siltarp 1's colour is a really good match for the undergrowth. I may have to use it more...

Saturday night heavy rain was forecast, so in the dying hours of day light we both spent a few minutes storm proofing our shelters. Making sure the pegs were in properly, tightening guy lines, and putting everything that could go in, in dry bags.

The rain took it's time to arrive, but when it did, it did so enthusiastically. By the time I work in the morning there was a heavy pater of rain upon my tarp. I checked everything under it was dry, checked my bivi bag was dry, noticing a small amount of condensation in the foot area, then rolled over and went back to sleep. Eventually the rain petered out to just the occasional drop falling off the wet trees. I checked the inside of the bivvi bag and it was all dry.

The rain had completely extinguished the fire, and we decided the exfil, rather than lingering around trying to cook breakfast. As I packed up I noticed that everything was dry apart from my tarp, and the corner of my sleep mat where I had moved during the night. My sleeping bag was nice and dry, which was the important thing. My tarp however was very wet on the outside, so I stuffed it in the front of the bag to keep it away from everything else that was dry. Camp packed up, we cleared the firescar, and leaving the campsite as we found it, wandered back to civilisation.

An excellent weekend, and a good test of storm proofness of our various shelters. Now looking forward to the next trip out.

Julia

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Sounds like a great weekend Julia :)

I've settled on the evernew dx stove too and the alcohol burner, great bits of kit and are so small and light and just sit inside one of these in 750ml size http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top-...Pots-Titanium-Pot-Cooking-Pot/1933028060.html

The mug is a good size for a decent pile of cous cous or similar for one and I use it on the burner or directly in or over the fire, the bail handle being very useful on occasion. Also the perfect size for a generous mug of tea or coffee. If I think I may be cooking up something bigger then i've got a larger size one too that I take, usually as well, and the smaller one just sits inside complete with stove and burner.

You mentioned the burner seems a bit thirsty, but I've not noticed that after changing from a brass trangia type ? I'm no scientist but isn't there a fixed amount of available energy in a given volume of meths such that it doesn't really matter if it burns off slowly or quickly, you still get the same heat output over whichever burn time ? Don't know if that's right though I might have just made it up ! :) The burner is fast due to the twin sets of holes, that's for sure.

Thanks for the write up, always fun to hear of your adventures :)

Cheers, Paul

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Sounds like a great weekend Julia :)

You mentioned the burner seems a bit thirsty, but I've not noticed that after changing from a brass trangia type ? I'm no scientist but isn't there a fixed amount of available energy in a given volume of meths such that it doesn't really matter if it burns off slowly or quickly, you still get the same heat output over whichever burn time ? Don't know if that's right though I might have just made it up ! :) The burner is fast due to the twin sets of holes, that's for sure.

It depends a lot on what you are used to. I found that to make a cup of tea I was using in excess of 40ml of fuel. The Evernew burner chucks out a colossal amount of heat for it's size, and with a wide base pot most of that heat should go into what you're cooking/boiling. However using it with the 550ml pot that came with the Appalachian set, you lose a lot of the heat up the side of the pot, where it does nothing. Whilst you use a lot of fuel, you do get a very quick boil time. Which is often the main measure people use to compare stoves.

The starlyte stove by comparison is slower to boil, but I am using under 20ml of fuel to make a mug of tea. It is using that fuel more efficiently than the Evernew burner. In winter, I'll probably use the evernew burner as I get the impression it will have better cold weather performance, but for summer, I've ordered my own starlyte stove (Jim wanted his back for some reason... :p)

Using 40-50ml of fuel to boil a mug of water, 3 times a day, means carrying 120-150ml of fuel. Not a problem on a 2-3 day trip. But it adds up if you go beyond that. Using the starlyte I can carry roughly half the amount of fuel. The other great thing with it is that I can blow it out when the kettle's boiled, put the lid on, and save what ever fuel is left. With the evernew you can't, so if you over estimate the amount of fuel needed, tough.

J

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Makes sense Julia. The 750ml mug I use covers the top of the dx stove nicely so most of the heat seems to get into the mug and contents okay, but yeah, if most of it was lapping up the sides of a smaller mug it would be inefficient I expect.

Cheers, Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE