A new project in the woods.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ever since my debris shelter had to be dismantled I have been thinking of making a new shelter in the woods. As I teach a bit of Bushcraft to the guys at the Carefarm where I work - and also have my basecamp - I proposed building a large lean-to shelter. The landowner was fine with this and not only gave the OK but also had poles cut and delivered to the site :)
I went up to the woods on Friday after work and started pitching camp as per usual at about 10am. Although I was expecting to be solo this time, I set the big tarp as the forcast was not great and indeed we did get a brief shower.
P2170002.jpg
P2170004.jpg
P2170005.jpg
I then made sure that the area we had chosen for the lean-to was OK...
P2170003.jpg
And then the fun began!
I started with the rear load bearing beam, which I lashed between two trees with a forked pole acting as a central support (this is going to take some serious weight!) and all the lashings were made from old climbing rope (donated by Red Kite) and wedged tight after lashing - just to take up any stretch in the rope.
To get the pole in place I used temp loops from rope and hoisted the pole on my shoulder to get them into the loops which held the pole while I lashed it.
P2170007.jpg
The much higher front pole was hoisted into position on ropes and lashed into position and three forked poles acted as supports (the front trees are further apart than the back ones) and a lower front pole was added and lashed to both the trees and the forked poles to further accept some of the weight...
A side roof pole (also to be weight bearing by supporting a central cross beam) was lashed to front and back trees and beams ... and I ran out of rope!
P2170009.jpg
P2180012.jpg
P2180013.jpg
Still to be added are the weight bearing side pole on the other side, the central support beam and the roofing poles.
After that we can lay on the tarp roof and the outer roof poles then build the back (and side?) wall, table, benches etc
Lots of work to come!
I finished all this by mid day on Saturday - with a glorious 10 hours kip in between - and enjoyed the sounds of foxes, badgers owls etc during the dark after work and before sleep.
I had two visitors on Sat afternoon - Roly and my wife both of whom dropped in for a natter ... but missed any of the work. We all went to look at the wildlife signs.
After they left it was all quiet again and I bimbled around soaking up the peace and sounds of the woods.
Another early night and long sleep to awake on Sunday with rain pattering on the tarp and another cold turning my nose into a running tap!
Breakfast, tidy up, pack up and away home to do the normal weekend chores...

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Looks like a great shelter, with the available roof space are you going to use it for water collection ? Look forward to the next installment.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Looks like a great shelter, with the available roof space are you going to use it for water collection ? Look forward to the next installment.

No - the plan is to cover the tarp with debris to slow down the UV breakdown of the tarp. We have a near-by spring if we fancy wild water...

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Ah I see, wild steam sounds great, has it been invaded by signal crayfish yet, they're up here now working their way North.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Can't help but admire the landowner. The pole cutting may have solved a puzzle for him!
What sort of a projection have you made for wastes & waste disposal?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
To use a 4-letter = human waste. I was taught to pack out what I packed in. But some things just won't wait.

John: do you suppose the land-owner might have a crop of poles to cut such that you could put up a serious Tipi?
Say 14 - 16' diameter? Takes a fair number of big rocks but, can you get the wood?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
For human waste we have a slit trench that gets re-sited every so often. Other waste is packed out.
As to a Tipi - I will think about that :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE