How many re-enactors do we have around here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Having stumbled across yet another post from a re-enactor I started wondering how many of us there actually are around here.

I first joined BcUK because I could see a huge cross over between the skill I had developed in Living History and the wider skill set so often referred to as Bushcraft.

Since then I have learned a huge amount from members here.

So I'll start us off.

I've been involved in Living history for around 16 years, working through 14C Medieval, Viking, Saxon, Romano British, Iron Age Celtic and more recently Golden Age Pirates.

Before that I knocked around with Larp until I realised I wanted to take it a little bit more seriously.

living-history.jpg

Since 96 I've been lucky enough to make my living full time this way.

So who else is out there?

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i used to frequent the American Civil War Society, all that black powder was great :D
wouldn't mind doing Napoleonic but can't afford it atm.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Hi, thats the group i used to belong to, you need to be 18 to fight with weapons on the field, 16 to be a standard bearer, PM if you have any questions ive still got contacts with them

All

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Hi, thats the group i used to belong to, you need to be 18 to fight with weapons on the field, 16 to be a standard bearer, PM if you have any questions ive still got contacts with them

All

who the nappy's or the ACWS?
i'm looking for a french regiment if nappy's :D

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
American Civil War Society. Wifes idea, and a good one. Unfortunately shift work makes it very difficult to go. Currently we are with the Union but I must admit to a hankering to go with the South.

Richard

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I used to be in Regia Anglorum.
I've refought the battle of Hastings on the actual site! Because I can ride a horse I was a Norman.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It's a great site at Battle isn't it.

I'm often in the LHE there which is down in the valley and when the mist rises from the pond overnight it gets quite atmospheric.

We caught a good sized eel in there one year which we kept for a day in a wooden bucket of fresh water to reduce any muddy flavour.

We called him porridge because we were going to have him for breakfast but in the afternoon he jumped out of the bucket and made a dash for freedom through a crowd of screaming public.

I wonder if he's still there....

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Hang on that eel story sounds familiar...
Ive fought a few times at Battle, i was usually saxon but all the archers had to be norman, was a slinger once as well, throwing potatoes at high speed at the saxons
Al

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
American Civil War Society. Wifes idea, and a good one. Unfortunately shift work makes it very difficult to go. Currently we are with the Union but I must admit to a hankering to go with the South.

Richard

Rebel! i was first virginia artillery CSA, little 2" smooth bore jobbies but damned fun :D

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Used to be Vike, for about 5/6 years. Not been a member for a while though, got fed up with all the group politics. Shame really, still have all the kit and did enjoy the living history. I was an advanced archer too, fought a few times at Hastings ;)

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Used to be Vike, for about 5/6 years. Not been a member for a while though, got fed up with all the group politics. Shame really, still have all the kit and did enjoy the living history. I was an advanced archer too, fought a few times at Hastings ;)

when were you in? i left about 10 years ago, got fed up with the politics, missed the living history tho, which group were you in?
Al

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Any other Battle of Hastings veterans?

Tell you what, I always remember the yellow and brown 'I Survived The Battle Of Hastings' T-shirts they gave out. Does anyone else remember those or, better still, still have one? I used to love that T-shirt.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Any other Battle of Hastings veterans?

Tell you what, I always remember the yellow and brown 'I Survived The Battle Of Hastings' T-shirts they gave out. Does anyone else remember those or, better still, still have one? I used to love that T-shirt.

Hmmph, I never got one of those!

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have occasionally done bits of re-enactment work, mostly for museums etc. I also have supplied a lot of re-enactors with the wooden bowls they use when doing living history stuff. I have an interest in seeing things done well in scholarly manner, the cooking at Hampton Court for instance. I find the amateur dramatics side of things not my cup of tea. Interestingly I find that the public do not relate to me as a professional craftsman if I am in costume, they immediately assume this is what I do at the weekend and in the week I am an accountant regardless of how skilled and proficient I look. If I wear 21st century clothes or better still just put a leather apron on then instantly I am recognised as a craftsman.
I can see Gary that you do what you do at a serious professional and scholarly level, do you find the public immediately recognise that or do you get the assumption that you just like dressing up at the weekend?

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
the living history stuff is great i must say, for our camps its all cotton canvass tents with cast iron pans etc.
is it the same in any group, you get three camps? i.e. appopsing sides in historical camps then shunned are the mod con tent/caravan owners?

Woodwatcher

Jul 29, 2009
norfolk
We (the whole family) are part of a 14thC living history group in norwich. Combat and crafts. good fun and chance to use bows swords axes staffs etc with out getting the boys and girls in blue excited. just dont open the boot at the moment as its full of arms and armour. Now off to ipswich for the weekend at jimmys farm.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE