How many poles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I know and accept that two walking poles can increase travel efficiency over all kinds of terrain. I own two walking poles, but I never carry both of them.

I usually only grab the one. The reason in my case is I'm not convinced the benefits outweigh the costs. Sure you might get a bit more efficiency, but you have the inconvenience of having no free hands. On level ground I mostly use my pole to "keep the beat" - it is not there to increase my biomechanical efficiency. Of course, rough ground and river fordings are where it come into its own.

How do those of you who use poles feel about this issue?

I'm much to poor at the moment to renew my paid subscription just to post a poll (on poles ;)), but had I been able to I was going to make the choices as follows:

• 0.25 poles (one pole used only when needed)
  • 0.5 poles (two poles used only when needed)
  • 1 pole (one pole used all the time)
  • 1.25 poles (one pole all the time, second when needed)
  • 2 poles (2 poles used all the time)
  • 3 poles (I am an alien ;))

PS - I am a "1 pole" man. I only carry one, but it's always in my hand when I'm out and about.

Last edited:

DR2501

Forager
Feb 6, 2014
Bristol
0.25 poles for me, although I own two. I don't see the need for two unless I was using them as tent/tarp poles but then I don't currently have any injuries - I'm sure if I did two would be a good idea.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
i generally used no poles but i started with one and found it was more efficient with two as i have a knackered knee regards dave

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I have owned a set of poles for about three years, originally I could not get on with them and felt they were more of a hindrance than help. I tried to get used to them again about 6 months ago as a friend really reckoned they made a difference when going steeply up hill. I think he was right ! although it did take a bit of perseverance to get used to using them.

I now use my poles regularly when in the mountains, but only for going up hill on grassy slopes most of the time as they do seem to lighten the load on my legs a bit, and sometimes downhill if icy or very wet (it depends on the terrain). I would not take them with me on a forest walk or on level paths.

I personally think it looks ridiculous when I see people using a pair of poles on pavements just because they have them and want to look the part when they are going for a walk. I am talking about generally fit & able people here, if you are not sure footed, suffer from an injury or maybe elderly then it is a different matter.

I don't have an issue with having no free hands, as if I am using the poles I will be concentrating on where my feet are going anyway and not fiddling with anything where my hands are needed. If I need my hands I will stop. If I don't need the poles they will go back on my rucksack until I need them again.

I have also used a pair of poles with a tarp and some paracord just for a quick shelter i.e. somewhere to eat your sandwiches and have a brew out of the rain if nowhere else can be found.

As for your choices it would be •0.5 poles (two poles used only when needed).

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I got a pair to try them out, when carrying a full pack, & found them a great help, in spreading the weight, i now would'nt carry a full pack with out using them.
When out for a day, i usualy have a wooden staff or wooden walking stick, but only the one. If when using 2 you want a free hand they fold down to nothing(almost) & easily pack away.
I prefer to use a wooden staff, but when carrying a full pack the ally poles are a big benefit, they weigh very little, & double as tarp poles.

Rob

rg598

Native
I used to hate poles for the same reason (they take up your hands), but this past year I have been using two poles consistently, and they make a big difference for my knees. Getting the right poles, i.e. lightweight ones also makes a big difference. I use the Black Diamond Carbon Cork ones.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I started using poles for hillwalking about 3 years ago, I always thought they were for the red sock and bobble hat brigade until I tried them.

Ascents, descents, river crossings, holding up my shelter, I wouldn't be without them now.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I use Pacer Poles and their handles are L and R specific. I agree they can make life a bit awkward when you need to uses your hands, but I can live with that for the comfort and increased efficiency in walking- up, down, rough ground and river crossings. Even on flat, smooth ground they are useful as when used correctly, they open the rib cage and improve breathing and posture.

Caveat would be I would not use them if I was going for a bimble mind!

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use Pacer Poles and their handles are L and R specific. I agree they can make life a bit awkward when you need to uses your hands, but I can love with that for the comfort and increased efficiency in walking- up, down, rough ground and river crossings. Even on flat, smooth ground they are useful as when used correctly, they open the rib cage and improve breathing and posture.

Caveat would be I would not use them if I was going for a bimble mind!

Another thing I like about the Pacers is you can link the orange cords together and then chuck them behind your head, letting the poles hang either side of the pack and freeing up the hands. You can't do that with many other poles as they don't have the cords.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've used 2 poles exclusivley for mountain and long distance walks for 10 years. Using less than 2 actually increases joint strain and can hurt backs.

Personally, I don't understand the bit about taking up hand space? all my poles have straps?

When I want to use my hands I let go of the poles and they hang. When i want to have my wrists free, the poles sit in my pack straps and I clip the straps to my belt strap.

Poles have other uses. they have warded off dogs, hang my pack up against trees as a bipod, tested ice thickness, push up my tree straps on long span hangs amongst many other things.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Not sure I buy that about single poles causing injury teepee.

Travelers have been carrying a single walking stave for thousands of years. Two at a time is a modern thing going back only a few decades.

You don't lean on them except when on rough ground or changing altitude, so the opportunity for single sided injury is limited.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Is this a pole poll?:)

Always been a 0.5 man. Dodgy knee means it's very useful (essential?) downhill.

Then I made a walking staff and have become a 1man - too big for the rucksack so must be carried. ( Except when walking with SWMBO when I revert to being a 0.5 man as "I'm not going for a walk with Gandalf...!")

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Two at a time is a modern thing going back only a few decades..."

Not so, I have walked a good few of the old pilgrim routes through Germany, France, Spain etc. All the churches and monasteries feature carvings or statues of pilgrims dating back a thousand years or more and although most are depicted carrying a single staff you do see many with two.

I always carry two these days, I used to think folk using them looked a bit ridiculous, then I tried a pair, it makes a big difference on long trails on uneven ground and really comes into its own on ascents and descents.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE