how many blades

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
a question if i may.

how many sharp tools do you carry on your person/in your kit on an adverage outing, what are they and what is your primary use for that tool?

thanks dean

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Longshot,i carry a Gransfors small forrest axe for chopping and splitting fire wood. Also i carry a folding saw for cutting green wood(although i try not to cut green wood that often) as it leaves a nice neat scar thus limiting the chance of infection getting into the tree. I carry my Lapp knife for everyday jobs like food prep,carving ect, and a multitool that has pliers on it, which has come in handy around the campfire, i'e lifting hot char cloth tins out of the fire.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
When I'm relying on fire for cooking/warmth, I do much the same as Stuart, with a micarta Woodlore instead of the Lapp knife.

If hiking longish distances, especially in hill country, I would skip the axe and leatherman and just take a folding saw (Laplander is best at sawing but the Wilkinson Sword/Fiskars saw is lighter) and a lighter fixed blade (eg stick tang Mora) rather than the full tang but heavy Woodlore. Kilograms matter!

For everyday use I have a Victorinox Farmer and nothing else.

It is surprising how much you can do with a folding saw and a 4" fixed blade knife - for splitting with a baton. HOWEVER - I have sometimes found it hard to get dry wood with this combination. In theory, the core of dead standing timber is dry even in heavy rain. In practice, I often find that 3" thick wood (ie, splittable with just knife and baton) is soaked through to the core. With an axe you can split much thicker wood.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
A 4 inch/100mm fixed blade (lately, a modified Fallkniven F-1 or Bark River North Star), a multi-tool (Juice Pro lately), and a folding prunning saw (Gerber lately). If I know I will need it, I would also carry a golok (Bark River lately).

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Fixed blade knife for heavy duty tasks and carving.
a small folder for food and other light work where I want the knife to be clean.
a hatchet for light chopping duty
folding saw for...errr... sawing stuff (also very good for cutting bread)

There have been times though, when I'm out on a mission to really test my knives... especially when a new one arrives... then I'll just take everything. :rolleyes:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I used to carry a Gransfors wildlife hatchet, climber sak and my own knife (a reject of a 5" drop point, sold through the bckg a few years back).

These days, on the rare occasions I get out, I carry my own tools (anal, maybe, but i like my tools! :eek: )

If ouut and about for more than a stroll I tend to have a light axe (much lighter than the wildlife, but I've still taken 3" ash trees down with it), a fixed blade saw, a 4" knife on my belt and if I have my big rucksack then my sak climber.

Alot of the time I only need teh axe and my fixed blade knife. But then you can never be too prepared can you :D

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
A Remington 3.5 inch fixed blade, folding saw & a cheap pocket knife I've not idea how I got it. It just turned up in a box of my old army gear.

Never carried an axe. Don't know why, just never felt I needed one. I used to carry a military machete, but got unwanted attention from the law so it's been religated to the garden shed.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
It very much depends if I'm out for a few hours, out for the day, out over the weekend or out for a week or more.

I usually have:

A folder of some sort in my pocket
A standard fixed blade for general use
A folding saw for sawing stuff
An axe for chopping.

Sometimes I also have an extra blade which is kept for food prep/game prep and sometimes I swap the axe for my Leuku.
Sometimes I don't bother with the saw and other times I take a bowsaw blade and knock up a handle when I get there.
Sometimes I just have the folder on it's own....or the fixed blade on it's own....or the axe on it's own....or the leuku on it's own.

It's a good question but hard to answer as my kit changes depending on what I'm doing and where I'm going.

Cheers,

Bam. :)

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
day to day i carry two, a dedicated cutting/food knife and a gadget knife. that's a folder du jour and a swiss champ.

out playing, or on trips five is about usual, a chopper, fixed blade approx' 4", saw, and the first two.

if i'm playing with sharp toys specifically i might carry more, if i've got specific tasks in mind, then maybe less.

cheers, and.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Seagull, i'm stunned! My girlfriend is a superb cook! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, saws are great for cutting bread!...

unless its sliced bread already but that goes without saying.

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
great replies folks just wnated to hear what y'all had to say jsut so i know im not over board :)

i usually have a folder on my at work or jsut out to the mall, store ect. when imout camping and such i have that plus, a fixed blade for heavy work used to be 8inches now down to about 4. plus i have at least a hatchet and most likely my larger axe ( if im stuck with only one blade that would be the one.) and a bow saw.

if im on exercises, i use whatever i'm issued, usually an 6 inch bayonette and/or a machette or axe depanding on the mission. plus whatever i can getinto my pockets, my usual folder and a multitool or two and i usually manage to get a hatchet in my ruck as well, the CO knows its there but its come in handy a few times so he ignores the infraction.

dean

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
On a camping trip with my mate recently, I had a victorinox huntsman, a leatherman wave, a victorinox signature lite and a mora scout knife with me. I had another SAK in my FAK, and probably another one in my rucksack somewhere...(granted, I am paranoid about not having the right tool for the job). Is this excessive?!?!

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
- Blades:

Bison Bushcraft knife or
AW-Woodlore + folder combi (for cleaning game & skinning)

- Folding Saw

- Axe

- Leatherman Wave (I too find pliers handy - putting stuff in/out of fire, etc.)

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
usually either,

My Mora or WS woody- main knife for carving, batoning etc

Laplander saw- Firewood cutting

Victorinox multi-tool- for all the other little jobs, can opener, bottle opener <very important> pliers etc

nitram55

Forager
Feb 24, 2006
Tamworth Staffs
Jon Mawer said:
On a camping trip with my mate recently, I had a victorinox huntsman, a leatherman wave, a victorinox signature lite and a mora scout knife with me. I had another SAK in my FAK, and probably another one in my rucksack somewhere...(granted, I am paranoid about not having the right tool for the job). Is this excessive?!?!

Excessive - bareley enough for a stroll in the woods :lmao:

timtom1

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Lancs
www.barkcanoe.net
What I do carry: a fix blade paul baker knife, in my survivial tin from BCB a little folding blade
What I would like: a Lofty Survival tool which I used recently on a survival course. But I'd probably carry a wildlife hatchet :bluThinki

P.S. you couldn't pick me up some birchbark could you :lmao: very friendly people from Newfoundland!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE