How light can you go?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
Here's a pic of the lightest I have got my kit for a couple of days out, and to still remain comfortable. There are a couple of bits I could do without but they are nice to have when out, my SF axe for one. Here's what there is.

Snugpak elite 2 sleeping bag.
Gortex bivy bag and thermarest mat.
Kathmandu tarp
Poncho
Axe, saw and mora.
Crusader mess tin.
Norg army shirt, hat.
Cam bag at front is food.
Water.
Day pack size rucksack. (had this one for 15 years)

Just fancied hearing any tips, comments, what you carry etc.

IMG_0136.jpg
[/IMG]

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Woodcutter said:
for a couple of days out

what? no spare undies?? :confused: :eek:

:p

Pretty much similar kit myself no poncho though, billy tin instead of mess tin, first aid kit goes as standard along with a few personal hygine items, also like to add a few luxuries like my containers with bannock mix in etc, small bowl, candle lantern and couple of candles.

But then im not too bothered by weight and dont count the grams.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I'm heading off for three days on Saturday, most of my gear is homemade, but I'll be trialing a new JRB quilt which doubles as an insulated poncho.

From memory:
Homemade pack
Sleeping mat
Insulated hammock
Quilt/ poncho
Tarp
Poncho
Thermals/socks/beanie
Homemade windshirt
FAK
Knife
Torch
EPIRB

All that comes to around 3.5kg. I'm trying to get it below the 3kg mark. This list is for use when temps are not expected to be below 5 celcius.

Nathan Sturgess

Forager
Mar 11, 2006
Various due to work
If I am going for a couple of days I usually take

Berghaus 64Zero
Sleeping mat
Snugpak Sleeping bag
Go-lite poncho
spare undies and socks
windshirt
fak
Opinel
Small firelighting kit
Nalgene
titanium mug
rations
Sometimes a bivy bag in extremely bad weather

It is very lightweight, I haven't weighed it yet but I plan on doing so just to see how light I am able to get my kit to.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Three season 2-3 night list

Army long back Bergen
Golite Hex 3 and floor or nest
Short Thermarest
Lightweight summer sleeping bag/Gortex bivvy bag
Nova, half litre fuel bottle, nesting 2 and 4 pint billie, folding mug, KFS
Head torch and mini LED lantern
All in one Vivitar digicam/still cam/MP3 player
Fire starter kit
First aid kit
Mora knife and Laplaner (if Forrest camping)
Spare pants, socks, fleece top
Berghaus RGI jacket
1 litre water bottle
Gortex trousers
Food on a solo camp is mainly dried these days.
Because of my knee problems, I need ankle support so I use army Pro boots

I don't use a heavy sleeping bag now, just sleep in my clothes or add the bivvy bag, good enough for where I camp down to say around -3

For my winter camp in January, I took a long Thermarest and 3 season bag , this was fine. Extra cloths was a wool jumper and norgie shirt, plus a Berghaus Mera Peak with zip in Polar fleece jacket, instead of the RGI jacket, plus Thinsulate beanie hat and gloves and Lidl long johns

So, not ultra light, but a LOT lighter than the 50 - 70lb packs I carried as a younger and fitter man many moons ago. I don't 'pound the miles' so this list works well for me. My biggest problem is food, I just can't live on noodles or nettles etc, I really look forward to a substantial meal at the end of the day. Home dried food has helped a lot, from veg to spag bol leathers plus the usual smash, rice and pasta as bulk fillers.

I'll list and weigh my pack for the 4th May trip

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
My ultralight pack, minus water & food, typically weighs in at about 12-15 lbs. Off the top of my head:

goLite pack (forgot the model)
golite 20 degree down bag (trying a Kifaru Woobie, as soon as it comes in the mail)
golite rain tops & bottoms
ridgerest z-rest 3/4 pad
patagonia R4 fleece jacket
extra pair of nylon pants
extra pair of socks
princeton tec micro headlamp LED
evernew titanium pot & spoon
alcohol stove (or MSR pocket rocket, depends on if I am alone or not)
fuel for either stove
wool watchcap
HH Asym hammock w/tarp (untested as of yet)
Gerber folding saw

mind you, this is for out hiking established trails. The ultralight gear isnt necessarily rugged, but it holds up fairly well. My bushcraft stuff is a little heavier, as I use a Karrimor 45L pack, a swedish cookstove, carry an axe, and various other accoutrements. I find, for me at least, that for quick bushcraft camps, I neednt go very far, so weight isnt usually an issue for that.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
That's some nice stuff Oldsoldier.
I'd really think about some more insulation underneath once you start testing the Hennessy though. My first trip was with a half length mat and a golite gust under my legs. I froze. There are cheaper solutions than underquilts, like the Speer SPE or sewing a pocket of insulation to the bottom.

But now I'm in danger of stealing this thread and sending it in an entirely different direction!

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
sxmolloy said:
Are the oven and washing machine "necessities" really? :lmao:

no question on bike trips I carry & use both oven & washing machine. The oven is a DIY-extra to my "T" stove, the washing mashine is also homemade and is in operation :drive: while I´m riding the bike

Fresh bread and clean clothing is the real luxury that separates you from the standard people :D

On solo walking trips it all depends - if lightweight is an issue I for sure don´t take more than just basics:
clothing & shoes on the body
primitive shelter (tarp) - doubles as bivy sack
depending on temp. an additional blanket as sleeping bag
st/st or ti mug as cooking pot
mini sets for first aid, repairing gear & cooking
water container
emergency food ration
GAK (as opposed to SAK)
daypack

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
For anyone coming to the Delamere weekend we could have a weigh-in competition..... :)

Helium-filled Thermarests are cheating though

Rat

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
Ratbag said:
For anyone coming to the Delamere weekend we could have a weigh-in competition..... :)

Helium-filled Thermarests are cheating though

Rat

what about helium foamed polyurethane? :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE