How heavy is your kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I've just loaded up my kit for a proposed 2 day outing. I've not gone OTT on rations or clothing.

I've got a bivvi bag; hammock; Swedish Army Trangia; basha and cordage; sleeping bag, utility bag; camera; binos and basic tools incl. hand axe. All fits nicely with room to spare in a 55 ltr sac. But...how much does it weigh?

28lbs!! :eek: Is this normal? How much does your kit weigh for a 2 day outing?

Pablo

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
That doesn't sound to heavy to me, my other half has carried more weight than that on a two day trek. The worst case I had was when I ended up carrying two packs that weighed in at 50lb, and yes I was glad to get shot of it.

LS

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Our DoE students normally take between 25-32 lb although a few have gone slightly heavier but we usually try and disuade that. 28lb isn't over the top although I definately agree that the key is to go for a smaller bag.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
:)

If I'm on my landlords estate with sabre 45, wooly clothes, axe etc. about fifteen to twenty kilos.

If I'm off on one of my longer walks much less, around ten - twelve kilos. I ditch all the wooly clothes, stainless steel pot is replaced by titanium etc.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
My pack is always heavy... always! even with a small pack it just becomes a small pack that's really heavy lol :lmao:

Do I care? No! lol No in the slightest. I'm a big strong strapping lad and have no trouble carrying the weight, I've always carried lots of it and the reason for this: I like my comforts :D The pay off is I have to carry them and I'm happy with that.

I can and sometime do go light but not if I can help it :lmao:

Bam. :D

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
-Switch- said:
Pablo,

Does that include your water?

Yes. I carry 2.5 litres in the pack and 1 ltr in my shoulder bag. There's very little natural water resource where I am.

Seems I'm just over reacting and getting older :lmao: I could carry this on one arm when I was younger :D . I like bambodoggy's philosophy, but I'd also like to learn the skills to cut out the heavy weight items.

Pablo

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
It depends on what you're comfortable carrying. I'm packed up right now for a three day trip, and my bag weighs around 9kg. I'd still like it to be lighter, but thats part of the fun for me... getting back from a trip and pruning my gear list.

Just as an example, some people choose to carry 30kg for an overnight trip. Some "super-ultralighters" in America are carrying gear that only weighs 3-4lbs, not including food and water.
I'm fairly strong by way of my powerlifts, but that doesn't mean I want to lift heavy weights when I'm out in the bush!
It's whatever you are happy carrying.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
It doesn't seem a lot to me, although I couldn't tell you what my normal kit weighs. 3.5L of water is about 8lbs weight though, so you're down to 20lbs of "kit" already.

I don't think it's a fair contest to directly compare kit weights with our American and Australian cousins though - slightly different climate!

It all adds up. By the time you've got tarp, sleeping bag, kip mat, food, water and a few odds and ends you'd be surprised at the weight. Personally I wouldn't go without a bivvy bag too (saves getting a wet sleeping bag), a set of dry clothes, jumper etc, waterproofs, FAK - there's very little that I'd call a "luxury item" - if the weather's fair I might not wear the jumper or waterproofs - but they were there if I needed them.

As someone once said - "better to have it and not needed it, than not have it and needed it".

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Ray Jardine countered that quote by stating "If you don't have it, you don't need it." Of course, his words should not be taken to their logical conclusion....

Here's an ultralight uk site that has lots of articles on how to go lightweight in your climate:
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/page73.asp
Reviews, articles and audio interviews with people who know their stuff.
Hopefully this will be of interest to some

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
don't know what my gear weighs - i've not weighed it - but i have learned a few useful pointers:

small trangia weighs less than the standard version and is just about adequate for 1-2 people. take only 1/2 a small bottle of fuel (you won't use it all)

water is HEAVY (1kg per litre) so take according to the season - in colder weather the streams will be full and relatively clean, so you can get away with taking less. in summer you will dehydate quicker so take more etc...

food containing water is also heavy - so again, if you access to water (you are going to boil it anyway so it'll be safe) then carry dehydrated food.

i changed my sleeping bag from one that weighed 2kg to my new one that weighs 0.9kg

i don't use axes - i got a plastic handled folding pruning saw from a diy/garden centre - £8 and its small, light and safe.

you can almost ALWAYS get away with taking less clothing than you think. if you're able to get away quickly and easily, you always have the option of bailing out if things go horribly wrong weather-wise.

a coat is possibly the heaviest item of clothing you will carry - try a few light layers with a waterproof shell on top, or for really cold weather, a duvet jacket - they're really light.

roll mats are cheap, light and easy - i take 2 because for the negligible weight gain i get a bit more comfort.

traditional ploythene tarps are a lot heavier than ripstop nylon types

hope some of this is enlightening - its mosly very simple and obvious but i've found it useful.

Dom.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
the best advice i have ever been given about going lite is find multiple uses for things, the more jobs one item can do means you carry less, the reductions soon add up 1 item does 10 jobs then 10 items do 100 jobs
i haven't got it down to a fine art yet my pack still always weighs too much.

James

leon-1

jdlenton said:
the best advice i have ever been given about going lite is find multiple uses for things, the more jobs one item can do means you carry less, the reductions soon add up 1 item does 10 jobs then 10 items do 100 jobs
i haven't got it down to a fine art yet my pack still all ways weighs too much.

James

Does that mean that If I carry Ray, Lofty or Mors then I am travelling lite???:D

I don't pack lite, it is not in my nature. Better to have an item you may need and not need it than to not have it and need it.

My point is that people have a tendency to think they are capable of things that they are not capable of, they also believe that if they have done something once they can do it again, this is not always the case.

Carry less by knowing more is the biggest load of rubbish that I have ever heard, it is not the knowledge of how to do things that matters it is the practice that goes along with that knowledge and overestimating ones abilities is a killer.

A lot of the time when people realise they have not got the neccesary skills is when they put knowledge into practice to find that they are missing some of the finer points. Some things have to be shown if you want to learn them at a reasonably quick rate. When you really need these skills you may not have time to practice.

Yes I can use a bow drill, firesteel and flint and steel (not overly proficient with hand drill, but I am working on it), but I still carry a lighter and a matchcase (even though I have quit smoking). I can build a fire, but still carry a small stove.

Yes I can build a debris shelter, but I still carry a tarp. I can flint knap, but I still carry a knife, saw and or axe.

Yes I know some medicinal plants, but still I carry a first aid kit.

In the end you can carry next to nothing and feel happy in the belief that you don't need all the rest of that stuff. I'll carry all the rest of that stuff and feel happy in the knowledge that at some stage you will be asking if you can use some of that needless junk that I am carrying.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
But there's nothing wrong with choosing the lightest version of an item of gear that will still perform the job adequately.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE