How far do you have to drive?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Being a one car family, my wife's needs have priority over my fun so it's shank's poney for me. The nearest site where I wild camp is a 2 hour walk from the front door but I often go further....It's not exactly wilderness country (I'm mostly on footpaths ) but I don't cross many people except on warm sunny sundays & during the summer hols.
I enjoy walking anyway, even with a heavy-ish rucky & the dog certainly doesn't complain.:D

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I'd only spend my cash in vodka bars and strip clubs if I didn't :)

You make that sound like a problem Rich.....

I am also very lucky, whilst less than ten minutes from the M4 I have access to land few others do, there is background noise everywhere of traffic but the areas I frequent are not available to people so I can be alone. I'm an hour and half from the Brecon Beacons and I have friends in Scotland so I can get real solitude.

When the sun comes up tomorrow I will be in a private wood in the Cotswolds listening to the wildlife wake up, whilst, to be fair I attempt to kill some of them (in the hope of protecting the rarer stuff) and it's a magical time to be in woodland as all the buds awaken and things get ready for the new life.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i have brockwell woods which is 70 miles drive, it just 26 1/2 acres of woodland and you have to pay for camping all though it is wild camping, fires allowed etc etc.

there is a day trip area 25 miles away up on the Yorkshire moors, same problem as you though, lots of dog walkers and mountain bikers destroying the wood i might add.

Scotland is the best area to go but as with you, the cost is just too much, i could never really afford it, shame as it looks a wonderful area with lots of water and places to go...

qsalister

Feb 5, 2012
South Yorkshire
I'm lucky enough to be right on the edge of Sheffield. The road I live on is the dividing line for the Peak District national park. It's about an hours walk to open moorland, and there are quite a few plantations in the area, although unfortunately many are being cut down at the moment. Plenty of water reservoirs around closer to home as well for topping up with water.

For pure wilderness in the U.K though, I have yet to find anywhere that comes close to Scotland.

Have you ever considered getting a coach/ train to cut your travel costs?

deragoku

Apr 19, 2012
New York
manganimeweb.jimdo.com
I camp in the most recent site is two hours walk through the front door, but I often go further .... this is not exactly wilderness country, but I do not cross the many people in addition to a warm sunny Sunday and during the summer HP 97 hols.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE