How far do you have to drive?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
I had been planning a 3-day trip for some while now. The whole backpack is packed and ready to go. I was supposed to leave early this mornning. I have been on the fence all week long, which culminated in my opting not to go.

The reason is, that i have to drive 5 hours (310 miles) to get to the area. The 5 hours is not a problem, but gasoline costs are. Combined with the fact, that i have to cross 2 toll bridges makes my backpacking trips an expensive affair, even more so when you consider that its "just" a hobby.

The closest and relative large forested area is 3.5 hours of highway driving away, with "true" wilderness about 5 hours away.

There are places that are closer by, but tenting/fire/etc. is not allowed. Besides, i only want to backpack in areas, which offer some degree of isolation and solitude. Theres nothing i hate more, than coming across runners, dog walkers, etc. every 15 mins. I need that wilderness feeling on my trips.

How far do you have to drive for your multiday backpacking trips? Do you find that time and gas-cost are problems, which prevents you from undertaking the trips you want to? Or do you all live with national parks and reserves as your backyard?

Unfortunately this will have to go back to the basement for now.

6909870096_740c49f4f0_z.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am lucky in that part (a comparatively quiet part) of the Pembrokeshire National Park is only 15 mins away, The Brecon Beacons National Park is a couple of hours away, Snowdonia is only 4 hours away and Mid Wales about 3 hours to remote bits :)
The nearest thing in Britain to true wilderness - Scotland - is over 8 hours away ... so I can rarely afford to go there!
For Basecamo type bushcraft there are woods that no one but I visit within a 15 min walk of my front door :)

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Not that is going to help much....

We have a forest park centered on Mt Pirongia about 30 minutes drive away. The summit of Pirongia is about 930m ish IIRC it's possible to wander around up there for a multi day trip and see absolutely no one at all. It's proper NZ NI bush terrain..

IMG_1153.jpg

If you drive about an hour in the other direction you get either the Corromandel or Kaimai ranges again with lots of options for multi day trips... I was out for Saturday and Sunday last week with my oldest son on a backpacking trip.

IMG_0776.jpg

Weve been over on Pirongia today with the family for a walk an a bit of gentle caving etc....

About 3 hrs drive south is the central plateau where we have a few decent hills...

IMG_0450.jpg

If I were you I'd dig the Bergen out and head off for a trip even if it's to some local spot to sit down have a brew and feel a bit of weight on your back on the walk in... Stuff like that is good for the soul....

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
What's the yellow thing on your rucksack?

Similar to John, about 15 minutes from Ashdown Forest in the car. The woods I dog walk in are about 15 minutes walk from my front door

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Do you have to drive there? Could you not get there by public transport, or at least as close as possible then hike/hitchhike the rest of the way?

Last edited:

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt

Similar to John, about 15 minutes from Ashdown Forest in the car. The woods I dog walk in are about 15 minutes walk from my front door

It's a folding "Z" mat mate. http://www.outdoor-ranger.co.uk/thermarest-zlite-reg-camping-mat-p-10371.html?currency=GBP&language=gb

Here in the UK there are actually very few places you can go and walk unimpeded by other walkers of some description. To do so properly in a forest environment would mean a trip to the Scottish highlands. 8 hours by car for me.

I'm quite happy however to forgo an all forest environment and just enjoy the countryside. I'm happy enough to say hello to people. I can walk to that in 5 mins.

Last edited:

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
I live about 15km from the capital of Estonia and this is what's basically in my backyard.
About 400m from the house there's a small patch of woods where a couple of dogwalkers go to, but noone else. It's probably privately owned, but because of everyman's right it's perfect for day trips.

Estonia is so small it's a couple of hours driving from one end to another. The closest national park is about an hour away and one of the biggest forests about the same (with dozens of camping sites).

UzTtHh.jpg

JEkgVh.jpg

MoDwGh.jpg

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Although i live in north london its only an hour's drive to my woods and its always worth the effort. Could you not find something a bit nearer home?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Step out the front door and head off, don't put to harsh a limitation on your hobby, its mental blocks like that which will see you barricaded in to avoid those "ramblers"

Last edited:

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
The Brecon Beacons National Park is a couple of hours away

I had a mate who went there a couple of years ago. Beautiful place, though the weather can be pretty harsh, right? Come across any SAS recruits doing the Fan Dance ? :D

We have a forest park centered on Mt Pirongia about 30 minutes drive away. The summit of Pirongia is about 930m ish IIRC it's possible to wander around up there for a multi day trip and see absolutely no one at all. It's proper NZ NI bush terrain..

Lucky ******* :D

Do you have to drive there? Could you not get there by public transport, or at least as close as possible then hike/hitchhike the rest of the way?

Public transport is pretty expensive. Still cheaper than driving, but the difference is not much. Id rather spend a bit extra and keep the freedom that the car provides.

Close, but no cigar. Its a Z seat pad :D The red thing is my inflatable sleeping pad.

http://cascadedesigns.com/en/therm-a-rest/seating/fast-and-light-seating/z-seat/product

I live about 15km from the capital of Estonia and this is what's basically in my backyard.

Looks like a lovely place!

Although i live in north london its only an hour's drive to my woods and its always worth the effort. Could you not find something a bit nearer home?

For bushcrafting and practicing skills, yes. For overnighting, no. At least, not somewhere, where i cant hear the traffic from the nearest road.

Spet out the front door and head off, don't put to harsh a limitation on tour hobby, its mental blocks like that which will see you barricaded in to avoid those "ramblers"

You are right about that...And ill probably regret it in the near future, but i have to stick to my priorities. Money is tight and Mrs. Polecat is out of a job right now, although she's telling me to go. Blowing almost 200 pounds on travel expenses is pretty low on the list right now.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I live on the edge of a city so zero fun to be had around here, unless you like shopping

My nearest "wilderness" is the village I grew up in which is half an hour away, it's stealth camping only here though and you're always waiting for the farmer/landowner to turn up in his Landy.

I regularly put in the miles and either travel a couple of hours to the Lake District or push on further north to Scotland, it's getting very expensive these days but if I didn't do it then I'd just end being a towny like everybody else around here. Getting out is what I enjoy so for me it's worth it, I'd only spend my cash in vodka bars and strip clubs if I didn't :)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
It really depends on how remote i want it.

There is a mountain just 20 mins walk from my house, with another 30 mins hiking on the mountain i am at areas where it's extremely rare to come across anyone else.
It is on the outskirts of Athens though so although you can walk for hours without bumping into anyone, you can see the city of Athens, weird.

IMG_1323.jpg

IMAG0266.jpg

There are another few mountains within 30 mins drive that are fantastic for weekends away, but again although your unlikely to bump into anyone you can see civilisation.

To be able to hike for say 7 days and not see many folks i'd need to drive to central Greece (2 hours driving), the Peloponnese (2 hours driving) or even more remote (has wolves and beers) Northern Greece (8 hours+ driving).

Last edited:

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Again, someone who has it lucky- I'm 30 mins from the Cairngorm National Park, and about 45 mins to Braemar and the amazing Linn of Dee / Linn of Quioch nae much further.

ATB

KP

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I'm one of the lucky ones as well, I can just walk to native birch woods behind us, Abernethy Forest, with it's Caledonian pines is only about 5 miles away and the mountains are easily accessed, added bonus, the river Spey is just down below.

All of these are reasons why we moved here and also, the west coast is only 2.5 hours away rather than the 10 hours it used to take us. I never take any of this for granted, the sense of space up here is wonderful and it is a real treat to have the freedom of access.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Too far, always too far. I like driving but vehicle costs takes some of the fun away.

From me, everything is at least 2 hours to get anywhere remotely remote and I usually head up to Scotland (8 hrs) or less often accross to Wales (3-4 hours).

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
It depends, If i stay local,( East Yorks/Humber/Spurn ), about 30 minutes, If i Fancy a bit of a wander, Usually North York Moors about 1-2 hours.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE