how do you start your living room/kitchen etc fireplace?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Matches or my Hudson bay kit. I do save all the unopened and unread junk mail to use to get it going though (If it's not addressed to me correctly it doesn't get opened).

It's a nice way to stay in practice lighting the fire with a flint and steel, and having a decent kit does make such a difference. The first steel I had was woefully inadequate in the spark department - I thing the manufacturer forgot to put the sparks in. :rolleyes:

Some good kindling makes a difference too. I dislike kindling that is all stuck together by slivers of un-parted wood. each piece has to be free. When I'm cutting the stuff for friends or myself each piece is free, I also like to cut a variety of thickness's so that it can be graded onto the fire. Tend also to cut at angles so that there are thinner edges and more surface area to aid combustion. (Maybe I'm just picky).

Don't use feather sticks that often, mainly if I'm outside.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Neighbour of mine used to use a small propane torch to light his fire. Few weeks ago he left it a little too close before retiring for the evening. Lucky for him the explosion woke him before the smoke could finish him off.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Swan Vestas. We have a stove in most rooms which makes getting a fire going much easier, before the stoves were fitted I have used the newspaper trick mentioned earlier and after a while kept a bit of spare hardboard near the fire for the same purpose.

We have a fair amount of well seasoned oak, ash and sycamore for burning, I never feather the kindling but do chop some choice bits down to 50 mm - 1 cm diameter and keep them in the kindling bucket.

Like British Red we get tons of circulars and junk mail which we keep in a basket next to the stoves.

:)

Edited to add:

All of the above relates to the family place in Scotland, over here we rely on Russian gas. :)

Last edited:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Same every time-spend a minute or so making 3 or 4 feather sticks from willow, bung them in with 3 and 4 inch logs (willow to begin with), light with pound store lighter, fire takes within seconds without fail. It does help to have a super efficient woodwarm stove with a quality flue. As Tony does, I leave the door open for 5 or 10 minutes to get the flue good and hot ASAP, and the wood all alight, then restrict the air according to suit the day

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
An old trick to help start the fire in the old-fashioned open coal firegrates was to spread a sheet of newspaper across the opening for extra draw. I guess most real fires in houses are now woodburners or mutlifuel stoves so the above method has largely been resigned to history, as has banking up the fire with slack or potato peelings.

range-newspaper.jpg
At old house,we had open fire and I used to use a metal sheet like a old baking tray,open vent and always worked.

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
With it being sideways, does the coal not fall out?

old paper and kindling consisting of thin branches snapped of trees (good one for the kids) or split wood, I've broken apart a lot of pallets lately and I've go a lot of pine blocks that split down very fine, they start great, then it's just progressively larger wood.

If i'm in a hurry and no small stuff I've no problem with firelighters or BBQ fluid and a blow torch, in fact my blow torch would be one of my treasured bits of kit :D

We put this in December to replace the open fire we had, it's lovely... Umm, even though it's come out sideways :D

View attachment 34777

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Some good kindling makes a difference too. I dislike kindling that is all stuck together by slivers of un-parted wood. each piece has to be free. When I'm cutting the stuff for friends or myself each piece is free, I also like to cut a variety of thickness's so that it can be graded onto the fire. Tend also to cut at angles so that there are thinner edges and more surface area to aid combustion. (Maybe I'm just picky).

I'm with you - the fires started like that warms both body and heart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE