How do you heat your ration packs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I'm just looking for ideas on how to heat ration packs/boil in the bag meals.

I have been using rat pack heaters and a swedish army trangia but wanted to use something else and noticed that they won't fit in any pots and pans that I already have.

So how do you heat yours?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Swedish army is the way for me. Looked at a few other ways and the only other cost effect replacement is a charity shop steel tea pot. I would love a Crusader set but while they are nice not cost effective to replace 2 existing SAT's

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
I have used all sort of ways for heating rat pack bags from attaching them to vehicles engines with wire, in the embers of open fires, in kettles, burco boilers, emptying the contents into a pan, I have even put the bags down my smock next to my skin, at least it is at body temperature.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like I'll be sticking with my Swedish army trangia for now. I have got a Jetboil Sol Ti so I might have to invest in a bigger cup at some point to give that a try for a quicker method...or just start eating them cold! Has anyone had any experience using the BCB Crusader mk 2 cooker and cup?

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like I'll be sticking with my Swedish army trangia for now. I have got a Jetboil Sol Ti so I might have to invest in a bigger cup at some point to give that a try for a quicker method...or just start eating them cold! Has anyone had any experience using the BCB Crusader mk 2 cooker and cup?

I much prefer the old BCB set up, i wrote a quick comparison of the crusader 2 and a US set up here not too long ago, its quite a bulky set up for what is essentially a mug and a stand;

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140692

Eating cold food when you don't have to is jack. Invest 10 mins to warm the pack up in the stove and you have a warm meal, a hot drink and probably some water left over for a wash & shave.

Tonyuk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

The mark 2 cooker with a trangia (civvi type) burner and the Mk 1 mug is my standard stoveset at the moment - I sold my Jetboil as I prefer the Crusader with meths option! The Mk 2 mug is pants.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I like cold rations and canned food.

Even today, I do enjoy occasionally a cold can of Chef Boyardee pasta watching a movie on Netflix!

Me too, but we live in a bit different climate than most on this forum. Even at home with a full kitchen lunch is likely to be a cold tuna salad or salmon and macaroni salad or something similar.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Pauljm116,

How about this set up?

WB15.jpg WB28.jpg WB35.jpg

BRS wood burner; AMG 1250ml pot/pan.

I've been using it for ex mil and home made boil-in-bags since Krimble and it works well. :)

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
In a Dutch army stainless mess tin on top of a bushbox xl :)
There's dinner for two in there, sausage casserole and pasta and bean salad, give them a squish around after a few minutes boiling, a few minutes more and serve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE