How do you carry belt kit when using a rucksack with a hipbelt?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Stuart said:
but if I slipped and lost the sack here there is a chance I would never see it again.

Stuart, Having done a few river crossings, not as rough as the one in the picture, I have used a long lanyard and a couple of Karibeeners, easy to un-hook if it is likely to drag you under...

LS

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
IMO belt kits etc. cause droopy trousers and make you look an feel like a tourist...

Keeping your blade on your person, lighter etc. in your pockets usually suffices...if not, then a shoulder bag is ok...

Marko :)

akraven

Dec 18, 2004
Alaska
Malcomc,,,,I think you are right on in having kit available to you all the time rather than stashing it in your ruck. If you read many of the true life survival situations that happen frequently people lose their main gear and are left with only whats on your person. The backward fanny pack works good as does a small dropped pouch like has been suggested. Good luck and let us know what you decide on. akraven

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Going back to the gear list that you have, if you are going Hillwalking in the UK, there are some Essential Bits Missing:

A Bivvy Bag.- you can get Vacuum packed ones to reduce the bulk, But a standard plastic bivvy bag will keep you alive just as effectively.

Some Emergency Energy Food.

A Whistle.

Also worth looking at is a Headlamp (like the Petzl range) as they make night work a lot easier and leave both your hands free.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Try an Arktis Allan Belt, it will take all of the items you have listed + loops to rie on rolled up bivi or shelter top. It can also be attached to the outside of your rucky or in apocket for open country. Ditch the 1 ltr water bottles two 1/2 ltr and a water filter straw plenty adequate for UK.
As for the SPWAN OF SATAN or moble phone as you refer to it, you get yourself into trouble it's upto you to get out.
Happy travels partner.

PS. If you are traveling in foreign parts try to avoid anything ex military it may atract atention from allsorts of unfriendlies, another thought forget a belt how about a fishing waistcoat!

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
I think that walking around in DPM, M90, M65, M84, Woodland or whatever fancy name your local camo outfit may have is not a problem in Europe.
Its hard imagining the local Homeguard Special Rambo unit (some old guys and some Special Agent Carl Hamilton wannabees) breaking out their weapons (without ammo) if some dutch hikers happens to walk by in camo trousers somewhere in Sweden. If you do the same in Angola you might get a closer look at the business end of an AK47 pretty quick. Well, over here you can buy better camo outfits at the surplus store than issued by the Homeguard/TA.
Why not use the best stuff there is for a good price.
About carrying all the stuff properly. Buy an Arktis west like the military use.
I myself carry my F1 around my neck and the rest in my pockets.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Ben Trout said:
Would this thread be of use to you?; http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=12789

That said I've taken to keeping my Swedish steel and striker on a cord round my neck.

Good to see people interested in that thread of mine... ;)

I'm with Hoodoo - the reason a I wanted a detachable belt kit wasn't so I could dump the pack in an emergency, it was so I could put my pack down at camp and still have some stuff on me. The scenario that Stuart mentioned - pitch camp, go collect water / firewood, get lost / injured - seems more of a concern than emergency seperation. Heck, even if you're just exploring the immediate area, doing some foraging or whatever, it's nice to have your brew kit and perhaps a snack to hand.

My belt kit tends to contain: waterbottle, mug, crusader mug / cooker, esbit, water purifier, teabags, sugar, FAK, knife & firesteel, survival bag, tinder, greenheat, repair patches, signal mirror and a snack. Phone, whistle, tobacco and lighter are elsewhere on my person. Map and compass usually live in a map case.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Nicklas
My view is that many military contractors manufacture the same items for the civilian market without the camo ie. Snugpac. I would not use military looking gear in central or eastern Europe it often alienates local people especially older ones who have seen a lot of recent conflict.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I think this is a very responsible outlook to carry some kind of belt kit. The scenario described of wandering off from camp to find water etc and getting lost is the most common sort of survival situation most normal people find themselves in. How often do you see this on those doomwatch 'I Survived' type programs on the tellybox? The idea of the reversed bumbag on the chest is good, but if you find your local fly fishing emporium, you will find they sell small chest pack, which are worn over goretex waders, just like a reversed bumbag. Trouble is, anything to do with fly fishing is priced up. I'm sure a cheaper option could be found.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Very interesting thread. I hate stuff dangling around my legs and IMHO most of the drop holster/ dangler military kit is designed for tactical and urban environments, not efficient movement with weight. In fact I hate anything that gets in the way.

I think you need to look at your belt kit in 2 ways:

Stuff i NEED on me
-Knife and firestarter- neck or dangler sheath.
-Map and compass- Chest pocket. A4 map case folded in half.

Stuff I WANT on me (I wouldnt normally carry much of this on me)
-First aid- I have never carried more than a military First Field Dressing in a pocket. Sometimes a tourniquet. Everything else in your pack.
-Survival tin. Have a good look at what is in their. You already have a knife, firestarter etc on you. none of the other stuff makes much sense to me (in the UK) I will have successfully navigated my way to safety before I need to catch a fish or snare a rabbit. If there are bits you do need ditch the tin and spread the load in your pockets.
- Phone- if you must. Actually, not a bad idea. little flares might be more reliable though. Pockets.
- water bottle. Only one if at all. I did a course once where we had to keep a bottle on the belt at all times (in the UK). It's quite sensible really. Always got in the way of the waist strap though. Carry it over the shoulder perhaps
- Torch. I like to have a mini maglite in my map pocket. If not a little LED for emergency night navigation is a must.

Stuff I WANT ACCESS to.
- Like Andy says keep Binos and Camera in pouches on your waist strap.
- Water. buy a platypus or camelback.

If you want to wander without your main pack, take something in your main pack. Daysack, belt kit etc.

I agree with your motives for wanting to keep stuff on you all the time. I knew a bloke who simply put down his pack at a rest. He took his eyes off it and it rolled down the hill/mountain. But I think you are looking to keep too much on you.

Just my Modus Operandi.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
my kit is varied

normally i would carry everything in my pack but sometimes it's usefull to have other gear handy.

i use homemade pouches based on Arktis pouches, they can be worn individually as a full "webbing" set or an idividual pouch can be carried on my rucksack belt or compression straps.

depends on what i'm doing, i like to carry webbing when near camp but not "cup of tea" distance. it has everything i need for bad weather and a hot drink plus tools.

when i'm teaching i tend to carry my tool pouch and my MoD knife.

for a hike involving balance sometimes webbing gets your center of balance lower!

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Maybe an OD chest rig is the solution? Personally my jacket, shirt and trouser pocket in addition to a Ortlieb document pouch is large enough to carry my:

fixed blade
honing stone
firesteel

bic lighter
signal mirror
ID card

survival tin/PSK
snacks
pocket FAK (in addition to larger in rucksack)

gloves
shamagh
woolly cap

Silva
map
cell
solitaire

But a beltkit or similar would allow to carry my waterfilter, metal mug, hexi+nails/gas canister, lofty's bible, large FAK, headlamp, beacon/flares/snap sticks.... something to concider in future.

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
An SAS type "E&E / Ration Pouch" works perfectly for this or even a larger style Possibles Pouch with extended belt loops perhaps.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
chest webbingis not for me tried it, but you have to carry all or nothing
i like to be able to adapt gear to my surroundings.

i've also tried the E&E pouch aproach with evertything in it but then you are carrying stuff you may not use that day, i like to be able to carry different parts of my kit each puoch has its kit section:

(try to picture a set of plce webbing and this will make more sence)

pouch kits left to right:

1. tool kit(ammo pouch)(everything to do with tools knives fire steel, whistle, lighter, etc

2Water (crusader cup, lid, cooker, 58 water bottle, lexan spoon)

3butt pack (tarp in a stuff sack, drinks and food, meths and coke can cooker)

4 water (58 waterbottle and cup, milbank bag

5 MoD survival knife(with 2 grades of sharpeners in sheath pouch)

6 first aid (first aid box, field dressing(for big injuries), and safety pins)

Ive also adapted a PLCE yoke to wear with it when fully loaded.

as you can see you can pick and choose which bit you need.
so you can wear 1 to 6 pouches of your choice depending on what you're doing, for instance when cutting wood to size i'll carry my MoD knife and tool kit but could also carry the first aid pouch, or to save attatching them to the belt chuck all three into a stuff sack(loads of options).

(don't worry the MoD knife goes away in public)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
by the way all but one of the pouches is home made (but heavily influenced by Arktis) so they popper together to form a solid unit, and the belt attatchment is simular to PLCE with poppers and straps. so a pouch can be removed from full webbing and securely worn on a seperate belt in a few seconds!

(normally arktis use a simple belt loop)

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
Many thanks to all of you who took the time to respond to my original question, particular thanks to Ben Trout for his reference to Dunc’s thread of Sep 2005 (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=12789); I missed that one when I went though past postings to see if there was anything previous on the subject.

The kit anyone carries is what works for them, I’m no different and I wouldn’t like to leave anything off my ‘just in case’ kit.

What I’m now thinking of doing is modifying the kit belt by adding connectors to the side to match the rucksack’s hip belt so that it will attach at each side rather than joining up at the front. This will free up the front of the kit belt for small items like compass and knife. The camera and binoculars wouldn’t be needed in a challenging situation and I could attach their pouches to the front of the rucksack’s shoulder straps. Everything else carried on short loops supported by the kit belt at sides and back.

I think this arrangement is workable. The input from this thread helped me reach this solution, again thanks all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE