How do you bikers get about?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
While all you bikers are in one place. I have a Frank Thomas 2 piece cordura suit that I no longer need. Suit is XXL and I am 5ft 8in tall. It cost me £300 about 7 years ago and has spent more time in wardrobe than astride a bike. PM me if anyone is interested.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Ha, i'd need less X's and more length!

I've been collecting kit for the bike recently. I've now got a Kriega US20, a Pacsafe tailpack and a Lidl tank bag. Tank bag is awesome and gets used every day, US20 gets used every now and then and the Pacsafe has only been used once.

When I go I think that I may have to strap a rucksack to the bike, but I just don't know how secure it will be doing 80-85 down the motorway. Panniers aren't much use when you've got to walk into site after parking up, they're not so good for carrying on your shoulders. Hence my problem!

I have a holdall for my bike kit when I go to meetings, but its a 90 litre bag that gets pretty full, it'll be like moving house

Mike Benis

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2008
England
I tour on a big Harley now, so used the overpriced stuff that comes with it, except for a Buffalo tank bag, whcih was the right sort of size to leave the speedo unobscured (they;re tank-mounted).

In the past I sued Oxford panniers on a Low Rider and they were fine.

The Metal Mule panniers are excellent though. They're a very nice company and will make brackets up to fit most bikes. The stuff is very well made locally here in Sussex.

Cheers

Mike

SirDiesel

Aug 11, 2009
yorkshire
i use some old military rubberised canvas square bags as pannier bags on a diy pannier rack, green they are.

standard ol' white top box (containing dry food, brew kit, light stuff) with my pack (bergen in small mode) in between me and it with clothes in, tent strapped to the pack, campchair (decathlon low chair) strapped to the os pannier rack. sleeping bag, blow up pad strapped to the tank.

interesting sight seeing that and a 240lb 6'er on a DT50mx lol even if it has got a 125cc chinese 4 stroke in it.. i combine the best of ultra light, ultra compact hike gear and the smallest motorcycle :D

i'd like a nice big bmw but they cost so much more than a homebodge mx'er and i'm not rich :p thinking about the possibility of a CG125 custom next..

1 - How do you take your stuff with you? Assume you're going close but have to walk in so you can't just strap it to your bike. Do you use panniers/rucksack/tankbag etc?
2 - Do you take separate clothes to change into? If so where do you put your bike kit? (helmet, jacket, trousers, boots, gloves

You might have to adapt preferences to suit, such as not wearing bike boots, a pair of walking type instead, open face helmet (easier to stow perhaps or keep with you, although I always found a full face was easier as I slid my arm through and it hung in the crook of the elbow)

What sort of bike? I've got a KTM and it really doesn't like throwover panniers of any type, heavy loading tends to make them pull down and in so they need a frame to keep them out of the huge gap between subframe and tyre. I've had success with a small pack over the front mudguard/headlight (not riding at night and will worry about poor visibility when it happens), likewise a rollmat across the handlebars (lightweight, doesn't affect handling and helps deflect some air). I've not strapped to the tank so far as I've succeeded with loading elsewhere but I would try it if I had to. My tank is a large capacity shape and doesn't lend itself to being stacked on, certainly not with magnetic bags as it's plastic. Sleeping bag is wedged behind me in the small of my back, works extremely well as a backrest but makes getting on a bit silly as I can't swing my leg over, I have to come in with my foot from the side. Seat is a long one and easy to load up.

I've managed to load it very well, evenly distributed, not at all top heavy. I also wear a small daysack with light stuff in. I like short sleeve shirts instead of T-shirts and can pack them well in the daybag so I don't look like a tramp when I change :) Only one pair of boots but a pair of sandals to rest in. Waterproofs packed up and strapped to top of front mudguard along with tarp or tent, might not be a good idea on a road bike though. A little time spent with some pushbike hardware can add good mounting points if you don't mind the DIY look, bicycle racks modify well to add bungee points to plastic bits as long as you don't add too much weight to them. If you go over the top you end up like a Mad Max extra. I think I'll try a net though, something a bit more secure than bungees.

A normal eurostyle bike should work well with the traditional tankbag and throwover panniers. Watch for the exhaust.

I should have taken some pics but like I said, it's going to be different loading for different styles of bike.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
For a start off I will point out that I have been into bikes since I was a nipper and had practically zero interest in four wheelers.

That said bikes are gash for camping trips unless you are camping right next to the bike, otherwise you have to carry your lid and bike gear to where you camp or leave it to maybe get nicked.

On the other hand they can be better than a Landrover for getting up green lanes.

Bikes: great fun to blat about on and good up green lanes but pretty poor for security.

Old Pa

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2009
Northwoods
Got a motorbike recently and want to go to meets on it, I'm wondering how to get my stuff on it and what to wear etc. Hoping to find out what others do....

1 - How do you take your stuff with you? Assume you're going close but have to walk in so you can't just strap it to your bike. Do you use panniers/rucksack/tankbag etc?
2 - Do you take separate clothes to change into? If so where do you put your bike kit? (helmet, jacket, trousers, boots, gloves

I'm wondering how I'm going to cart stuff about, I pack pretty light but I don't have any panniers yet. I don't really want to wear a rucksack full of kit down the motorway. Plus I don't know what to do with my bike kit when I'm there, particularly my boots and helmet

I've been at this for thirty-five years now; still a work in progress. Presently: 2006 Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom

1. Tank bag (Eclipse) and waterproof duffle bungied on the back. Waterproof ATV duffles are pretty well developed and available at discount. My current one came from SierraTradingPost.com. It doesn't keep the weight as low as some panier systems, but cost @$50USD and works.

2. In the motel room. My "old Guy" philosophy of motorcycle travel involves a quiet clean motel room with shower and good rack at the end of the day. I only camp out when necessary.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Problem with bikes is that you could usually get a scrapper car and insure it for the price of the luggage and gear you would need to get camping gear about by bike.

Don't get me wrong, I love bikes and have a three myself but they are just so crap for going camping away from that it's a joke.

You can manage it by bike but its so much simpler by car/van that its quite funny.

Scott, who likes bikes but can also see their crap side.

Problem with bikes is that you could usually get a scrapper car and insure it for the price of the luggage and gear you would need to get camping gear about by bike.

Don't get me wrong, I love bikes and have a three myself but they are just so crap for going camping away from that it's a joke.

You can manage it by bike but its so much simpler by car/van that its quite funny.

Scott, who likes bikes but can also see their crap side.

Can sympathise with that, along with a previous poster about stopping somewhere with a shower. As a "not young" person anymore, motorbike camping is probably best done with a mobile phone and credit card :)

When I was younger and cheap cars really were old bangers, it was different.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE