How do you bikers get about?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Got a motorbike recently and want to go to meets on it, I'm wondering how to get my stuff on it and what to wear etc. Hoping to find out what others do....

1 - How do you take your stuff with you? Assume you're going close but have to walk in so you can't just strap it to your bike. Do you use panniers/rucksack/tankbag etc?
2 - Do you take separate clothes to change into? If so where do you put your bike kit? (helmet, jacket, trousers, boots, gloves

I'm wondering how I'm going to cart stuff about, I pack pretty light but I don't have any panniers yet. I don't really want to wear a rucksack full of kit down the motorway. Plus I don't know what to do with my bike kit when I'm there, particularly my boots and helmet

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to have two daysacks fitted as panniers and have a big locking topbox for my helmet and such.
The pillion took a big pack strapped over the two pannier day sacks.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Depends on the bike and the trip.

BMW (1970's flat twin sports tourer, 1000cc) - hard Krauser panniers and a tailpack on the pillion seat. Then a tank bag in front of me as much for the chest support as anything else - means you can take a rest on long trips and some of the pressure off the wrists. The tent gets strapped across the rear of the seat on a small carrier, not a good place for big weights. Tools, spares and first aid kit under the seat in one of two cubbyholes.

XT Tenere (1980s 600cc single, off roader) - soft throwover panniers, tailpack on the rear carrier. Tankbag if necessary though I don't find they fit very well becasue I have a huge Tenere tank. Tools and spares strapped on in small army sidepacks and a first aid kit in a too small cubby hole. Much nicer on slower trips as there is little wrist pressure and can get well off the beaten track, on BOATS obviously !

Soft luggage takes a fall better, the Krausers would suffer damage. On the other hand the Krausers are both lockable and removable like small suitcases which does have its advantages.

So I can get far more on the BMW but is it very road oriented. If camping somewhere I prefer to take the XT as I can be confident it would get me out of a field. But I take the BMW to the Isle of Man where I sleep in a hall. When considerably younger and more foolish, having owned the Beemer for about 21 years now, I did take it trail riding in the Pyrenees with some surprising success - but no luggage.

I have a Coleman which can run on unleaded and can now run all my bikes on it - which is handy and prevents having to carry alternative fuels.

Watch what you put into a magnetic tank bag - they can allegedly damage things like phones and cameras because of the powerful magnets.

I have also done a bit of travelling on MZs, old two stroke singles of great charm and simplicity. Major advantage is their light weight. One day I shall fit knobblies to one and make my ultimate bushcraft bike ! Sometimes I have nightmares about things like sidecars for the luggae (beer) carrying capacity it adds and an inability to fall off in the snow here in Wales.

Best of luck !

Richard

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
I forgot to say, however much the manufacturers of your luggage say its waterproof ALWAYS WRAP STUFF IN PLASTIC BAGS AS WELL. Learnt that the hard way.

That touring combo looks pretty good.

Richard

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Soft panniers by Tech 7 and tank bag and rear seat bag. Although got to say not been on a 'meet' with this set up. I went for soft luggage as its cheaper and interchangeable if you decide on a diff bike.
Do fancy a trail type bike and some off road bivi excursions.
Dave

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Clothes/ Boots - I usually wear army surplus Para boots with goretex socks in the winter. Why would you want to store them at the Meeting ? Wear them. Sounds like you want Cordura/armoured gear rather than leathers to me. It has improved enormously of late and is fairly cheap. Even Lidl/Aldo do that kind of gear now. I bought one as an experiment and have been rather impressed, easily as good as some much more expensive gear. Sadly waxed cotton has gone up in price since it became a fashion item - shame as it was great off the bike. Waterproof, quiet in movement for stalking and the like, darkly coloured - no armour though - and repairable.

Lock your helmet to the bike, and cover it in plastic.

Personally I no longer carry rucksacks on bikes, though an empty one may be okay. I believe, with no hard evidence, that it could make an 'off' worse.

Richard

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
The bike is a Suzuki SV650S. Still in two minds about the luggage

I've been wearing Sidi Vertigos for riding, hence not very good for walking in. Thought about wearing walking boots but frankly I don't think they'd protect my feet/ankles anywhere near as much and its usually a bit of a ride to get to a meet. Hence having to put them somewhere while I stick on some other footwear.

alpha_centaur, thanks for the link, that's the sort of thing that might do the job

My rule is "Never carry anything when you can make the bike carry it for you". As others on here may testify, I am renowned for carrying a phenomenal amount of gear on my bike.

When I go on a rally, I use two side panniers and a top box. The tent is bungied to the pillion seat, and my airbed and camping chair above that. I put any heavy stuff in the side panniers, and lightweight stuff in the topbox, such as my dossbag and wash kit.

When I get to my destination, I put up the tent, put my airbed and the contents of the topbox in the tent, and then put my crash helmet and leathers in the top box.

I also have a tank bag, which doubles as a map-case and rucksack. I use that for stuff I want to be immediately accessible, like my camera, tissues, money, keys and contact lens stuff.

Clothing-wise, although I do have some 'proper' bike boots, I prefer to wear my para boots because they are much more comfortable and, I believe, offer me more support and grip.

I have leather trousers with padded knees and hips, and a cordura jacket with armoured elbows. I have various sets of waterproofs, depending on the type of journey I'm making. For long-distance, I have a huge one-piece set, which are big enough to cover my normal leathers & jacket. For relatively short distance, I have a two-piece set which is lightweight but still properly waterproof.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Fandingo panniers and top box plus rucky on the pillion works for me on my Suzi 750 there again I can't walk too far so tend to be fairly close to it when I'm out. Skid lid and jacket, trousers, and boots fit into panniers when everything removed. I don't normally go out more than a quick weekend with the bike though now, must be getting old.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
The bike is a Suzuki SV650S. Still in two minds about the luggage

I've been wearing Sidi Vertigos for riding, hence not very good for walking in. Thought about wearing walking boots but frankly I don't think they'd protect my feet/ankles anywhere near as much and its usually a bit of a ride to get to a meet. Hence having to put them somewhere while I stick on some other footwear.

alpha_centaur, thanks for the link, that's the sort of thing that might do the job

It does quite nicely on my suzy bandit 600 the only prob is if your sv650 is like the bandit you may have to replace your indicators with the micro ones or even better the tail/indicater combo's.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Well by and large I use the car but! When I do, I pack the rucksack as I would for any other trip. I try to make sure that I have the right gear and my limit of carrying gear is my sack, this I wrap in heavy weight plastic bags to keep dry. This I bungee cord down to the seat of the bike

I also take a tough waterproof bag with my outer clothes for the 'wilds' this gets put on the sack as well. As for boots, hi-leg gortex linned boots are more waterproof the zippered bike boots. Get to the other end swap outer clothes for cordura gear, put the lot in the bags that protected the sack and chain it and helmet to bike. People stealing it? well if its in your car they can smash the windows or steal the car or torch it! So chaining it down is just as good I feel.

Had stuff stolen fro a car but never from the bike.

Sandsnakes

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
2820752229_a50076ffa0_b.jpg

I use Andy Strapz canvas soft panniers and mountaineering dry storage bags. Best combo so-far.

If doing some walking I use my Scarpa Gortex walking boots and leave my motorcycle boots at home and replace dry bag with midsize backpack that i strap on the back.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Get yourself to the bike show at the NEC and have a look at what's on offer! Was there yesterday it's great.

burning

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2006
nw uk
I used to carry insane loads despatch riding, I had hard panniers and topbox then, it was a 'must' but now it's a love not a job :)

Looking at your bike there is scope to carry a lot. Aldi do a good magnetic tank bag for £16 which whups some of the £80 stuff in the bike shops. Soft saddle bags (the sit on type) are good the only problem I can see is your back end.

This may sound weird but if you have no pillion fill your rucksack/bergen and rest the weight of it on the spare seat, works for me but ride careful for a few miles until you get used to the centre of gravity change on corners. You need a big rucksack for this to work btw one that goes down to your bum is best.

I'm nearly old enough for a sidecar.....can't wait lol :)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
strap rucksack to bike don't wear it, don't wear specialsit bike clothes just wear what you will be using on arrival, anything you have to take but won't use on arrival like helmet just put in waterproof bag/bin liner etc: and bury/hide close to bike so no-one will find it, make sure bike is secured with chain and lock if you want it to stop in one place.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE