How do I shrink a Pendleton wool shirt?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Greetings all.

I've been given an XL Pendleton wool trail shirt.

I'm very much a medium to large build.

Does anyone have tips or advice about shrinking wool shirts?

I like the colour but it's far too big.

Many thanks,
Rob

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Give it to my mother in law..lol damned women shrunk the heck out of a nice sweater I one had. Came back the size of a tea cosy and thread bare. :)

Seriously though, A hot wash will shrink it. Try a few gentle/hot washes over a couple of weeks untill you have it right, then wash it cool or by hand.

Failing that.. swap it with a fat guy (right here!) for something else?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Fing yourself somebody local who does alterations, it's a much better solution than shrinking; it's very unlikely that you'd be able to shrink it without getting at least one dimension out of kilter with the rest.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm with Macaroon. Shrinking it is easy (Samon got tht spot on) but controlling the process is another matter altogether.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks, one and all. Contributions much appreciated.

I'd wondered about alterations so I'll see if a friend will have a go. I don't have the skills, unfortunately.

I think I might see if I can pick up a cheap one and try adjusting or shrinking that before I change the nice one I've got.

All the best.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Hi,

I'd swap for a medium or large Bison Bushcraft shirt (pref the smock type). I don't have a woollen shirt [that fits] at present, so that's what I'm after. Any use?

All the best.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Give it to my mother in law..lol damned women shrunk the heck out of a nice sweater I one had. Came back the size of a tea cosy and thread bare. :)

Seriously though, A hot wash will shrink it. Try a few gentle/hot washes over a couple of weeks untill you have it right, then wash it cool or by hand.

Failing that.. swap it with a fat guy (right here!) for something else?

I might be that fat guy! But I only have fat things to swap!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE