How do i make a match case with shotgun shells

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

keyser Soze

Jun 23, 2008
germany
hi again i have recently found a handfull of shotgun shells and was hoping some nice person on here could tell me how to make a waterproof match case with them.

oh and if i find anymore i would be happy to send some to anyone who wants them

keyser.

soggy boots

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2007
Manchester
Having selected two empty shotgun shells, preferably with deep collars. Trim the open end of one and, remove the collar of the other; this is acheived by gently heating the collar and sliding out the plastic case.
You now have a trimmed cartridge and a cap that can snuggly fit on the open end of the empty cartridge. The loose cap can be scored across the face with the edge of a half round file or a saw blade to offer a striking surface, on which to ignite your matches.
N.B. Leave the spent primers in situ!!

Good luck
Soggy Boots

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
All I can attest to is to not attempt to hammer two 12g cases together when they are full of strike-anywheres. I did that when I was around 12 and am now just getting all my eyebrows back:D

I had read that a 12g and 10g or 20g and 12g would slide over one another making a matchcase...that is all well and good if you happen to have both gauges handy, otherwise percussion assembly seems required.;)

For the past 40 years for some reason or another I have been a fan of real matchcases.....

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I like to use a high base to cap the matchsafe. You can waterproof the matches and wrap the cap in duct tape for extra protection. A nice pouch for carry is a good idea imo. Good place to carry some extra waterproofed tinder as well.

Also, 410 shells sealed with a cork make nice containers for things like sewing needles, fish hooks, etc..

shell_matchsafes1b.jpg

shell_matchsafes2b.jpg

shell_matchsafes3b.jpg

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I have two that I made that are always on me. One full of non-safety matches and the other with cotton wool / vaseline tinder. On some you can push a match into the small nub in the cap so that when you pull the cap off one mach automatically comes out.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
.357 mag and .223 shell casings nest neatly like that - but of course the .223 is a bottle neck so needs sawing off to be neat

headrox_inc

Apr 8, 2008
Birmingham
Wow these are really funky would never had though of using a shotgun cart for carrying matches and also keeping them waterproof, thanks for the insite,

The Survivalist

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE