How did you find BCUK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Of course, this message won't apply to the people who made it all happen :biggthump but...
How and why did you find it. Were you a lurker, a first poster in April 03? Did you suddenly get an inspiration to search for "bushcraft" when you heard you could categorise your passion?!

Personally i only realised i could categorise it at christmas. And i also wanted more info on the Woodlore knife as featured in the the RM bushcraft book. So i did a search and read a review on the old BCUK. Then i saw "community" and thought "that looks interesting"....never looked back! :eek:):

Others?

Jake

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i was fed up of being a closet bushcrafter.. no knowing anyone else who was interesting (oh sure we like camping but why do you want a fire when we can have stoves)

i was thinking about starting an online community believe it or not.. knowing there must be others out there.. then one day i stumbled upon this place when i googled "bushcraft"..Phew! :biggthump

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
On BB i am a bit of an immigrant...but i think i am slowly becoming a native :eek:):

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Well, there were these crystals I found at the Fortress of Solitude and they said... no, hang on, I'm having a movie flashback again.

It would be nice to tell a tale of great luck and high adventure, but actually I stumbled across a link to the site whilst searching the 'net for some old camping books.

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
I found the BCUK site quite a while before I found the community section. I think I googled bushcraft after seeing Ray on TV for the first time and thought "Oh, thats like the stuff I do" :pack:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Jake Rollnick said:
Personally i only realised i could categorise it at christmas.

I can categorise it all year round... you should get that looked at :wink:

I was looking through surplus sites one night for "stuff" when Somehow I found it to the main site for gear reviews... then slipped and found myself here :)

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I was googling for more info (which doesn't, incidentally, exist) on Nanok clothes (which thankfully do), and found a thread that included the word Nanok. Had a quick look around the site, and thought "wow, i do believe I've stumbled across an oxymoron - a cybergeek outdoorsman". But then of course that's wrong, and I realised that you're all some of the most intelligent and un-naive ( a word?) people I've ever met. So I stuck around. :wave:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i'd been looking for suchy a site for years!

trying to cover my bushcrafty interests i must have looked at damn near every "survival" site there is!

settled at "frugal squirrels" for a while but it was always too Gungho, ver patriotic and paranoid.
eventually i gave up and read through rays book, and looked up his website, low and behold there was a "Bushcraft UK" which i origionally thought was run by mr mears :roll:

i have never looked back!

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I was looking at bushcraft courses and followed a few links and wound up here, It looked like a cool place so I stuck around.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Nightfall said:
I found BritishBlades forum first. When I saw the link for the Bushcraft site I went there. Lurked around for awhile then joined.

Same here... I was looking for info on 'forging' and when I came on here... I came 'home' :super:

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I was origianlly booked on a course with Woodlore but circumstances changed and started to look for a less costly alternative. I did a google for Bushcraft courses in Ireland two sites came up one was the wilderness gathering and the other BushcraftUK and both lead me to Wild-live.

I read all the articules on the main site and then one day tried the community and well enough said. BCUK :You_Rock_

James

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
I think I done a search for Bushcraft on Google.

*just as a thought - would it be an idea to `advertise` the Community section a bit more on the main front page?
The reason I ask is im sure I looked at the front page many times obviously to read all the articles but it did cross my mind that it didnt change much.. did wonder if it was a dead site.
However it wasnt until I started to read the Community section that I realised its where you were all hanging out !

Just a thought :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE