How cool are these ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Oh very cool! the 120 cell is the zen engineers version of the carved ball in a ball in a ball, i be scared to own a Klein bottle purely for the amount of beer soaked clothes when trying to concur my fears of dimensional drinking,

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
i wish I understood the maths abit better. I feel like a dunce now.
Triply Periodic Minimal Surface? 4 dimensional?

I thought time was the 4th dimension?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
They are stunning. The borromean ring looks like a spore.

I have no understanding of the maths involved but I could nalbind the scarf and the hat. The mobius scarf is very easy to nalbind, it something that most beginers make by error by putting twist in when joining the ends. I could nalbind a kleine hat, I can't work out how to knit either.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Wow, the metal sculptures are just gorgeous, again how do you find these wonderful things Toddy, you have a touch of internet guru about you!

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Ooh, very nice... I've been fancying one of those Klein bottles for ages, but I'm having trouble coming up with a convincing reason to buy a zero-volume manifold... And now I want to buy expensive mathematical sculptures too. ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm a computer clutz (though my sons are net gods/ bogon sinks/ urc cops :confused: :confused: ) but I love engineering. I love good design and the interaction between the two can leave me entranced :D

My Grandpa made me a gold wire mandala when I was a toddler. It had amethysts from the Ochils threaded onto it. It was my best shiny toy :D :D
I reckon it's his fault my mind opened up this way :cool:

Hoberman sphere's and braintwists I can play with for hours. :eek:

Origami is a quiet contemplation thing; I'm of the school of thought that the actual making is the origami, not necessarily the finished piece.

cheers,
Toddy

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
i wish I understood the maths abit better. I feel like a dunce now.
Triply Periodic Minimal Surface? 4 dimensional?

I thought time was the 4th dimension?

from what i understand. Science has simplified alot of maths by combining the 4 you mean (length, width, height, time) into one... "spacetime". Hence the numbers confuse a lot of people

first paragraph from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime should help explain.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
How would these cross over to bushcraft then? the kkk (klein kelly kettle) or the klein hammock?

i suppose getting out of a klein hammock would be a problem if you needed to pee in a hurry? or maybe you would ceace to exsist if you got inside one given it is a zero volume manifold, then technically you would have zero volume...:bluThinki

hmmm, i need to give this more thought.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How would these cross over to bushcraft then? the kkk (klein kelly kettle) or the klein hammock?

i suppose getting out of a klein hammock would be a problem if you needed to pee in a hurry? or maybe you would ceace to exsist if you got inside one given it is a zero volume manifold, then technically you would have zero volume...:bluThinki

hmmm, i need to give this more thought.

Funnily enough I was wondering about the kelly kettle too :D and an insulated tent :cool:
Coloured so that as light or shade shone through the fabric it created a kind of reactive camoflage.........maybe ? :22:

cheers,
M

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It's very difficult to get anything "into" or "out of" a Klein bottle. Certainly wouldn't want to try it with boiling liquids.

(I put "into" and "out of" in scare quotes because a Klein bottle doesn't actually have an inside as such.)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, and if you plug it, it makes a bomb :eek: I was actually wondering about heat exchange.........like the old ice cream makers........bushcraft ice cream :cool:

I don't think the klein bottle would work for that though :sigh: The cream would need to be in the outside inside of something shaped like the tankard.........I think :dunno:

cheers,
M

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
from what i understand. Science has simplified alot of maths by combining the 4 you mean (length, width, height, time) into one... "spacetime". Hence the numbers confuse a lot of people

first paragraph from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime should help explain.

I see. It says the bottle is not a true Klein bottle because that needs the bottle to pass through itself without the means of a hole - true four dimensions, or time in otherwords.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Actually, the whole Klein bottle thing is based on the idea of four spatial dimensions, not Einstein's time-space continuum. Topology can be generalised to any number of dimensions you like - it's all just maths.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE