How comes I can't find green gortex gaiters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
I've been looking for a while now and anyone know where I can get a good pair of Gortex gaiters from on the internet its so hard to find green ones.

Mitch

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Get some ex military ones...they're usually £8 to £10 at the Game Fairs and the surplus stores are bound to have them. They have a very good and tough rubberised strap and buckle fastening and are as good as you'll find IMHO.... :)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
falcon said:
Get some ex military ones...they're usually £8 to £10 at the Game Fairs and the surplus stores are bound to have them. They have a very good and tough rubberised strap and buckle fastening and are as good as you'll find IMHO.... :)

They are waxy heavy cotton - not Gore-tex. Cracking bit of kit though. I actually prefer them to the Gore-Tex ones as they aren't as sweaty.

Which reminds me, must put them up for swaps as I have a new light pair on the way.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Dougster said:
They are waxy heavy cotton - not Gore-tex. Cracking bit of kit though. I actually prefer them to the Gore-Tex ones as they aren't as sweaty.

Which reminds me, must put them up for swaps as I have a new light pair on the way.
Sorry mate....you must have something else....mine are gore-tex :rolleyes:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Dougster said:

My issue green gaiters are also Gore-Tex!:rolleyes:

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
MitchelHicks said:
I've been looking for a while now and anyone know where I can get a good pair of Gortex gaiters from on the internet its so hard to find green ones.

Mitch

MY other half purchased a pair from a couple who actually make them from scratch. Very good gaiters they are too and not that expensive.
All try to find out the contact details for you.

John

leon-1

Right guys just to clear things up a little. Once upon a time you did not get issued a gaiter unless you were in an extreme cold / wet enviroment (for this think the Falkland Islands or Norway), these were Gore-Tex. I got issued them for the Mountain and Arctic Warfare Cadre.

Then about ten years ago the military started to issue gaiters as standard, these are the thornproof ones which are more along the lines of a Heavy duty duck cotton / canvas.

Personally I think that the cotton ones are actually better in the long run. I have owned three pairs of Yeti over the years and to be honest I am not that fussed by them, effectively they fit one type of boot or else you have to glue them onto another type, nah. Just get a gaiter that fits any boot in the first place.

As far as gore-tex gaiters go I have never been really sure what the benefit is. Maybe I am a rarity in having shins that do not seem to sweat heavily:rolleyes:. Lets face it if you rip your nice shiny new Gore-tex ones it's gonna cost a packet to replace or put right. Cotton canvas, cheap and a lot harder wearing than the gore-tex ones.

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
Deerhunter brand gaiters - absolutely excellent. I've worn mine on hundreds of occasions over the past four years and their still as good as new. When they get too filthy throw them in the washing machine. They're quiet, easy to get on (what's all that two strap nonsense on the MOD gaiter?) and very, very hard wearing.

Gore-tex is over-rated, particularly for gaiters - what's going to happen if you've MPV trousers as well?

Cheers

Gf

Risclean

Forager
Feb 28, 2007
North Highlands
I use Kammo gaiters, the best gaiters I've ever had. They come in green, DPM and a hunting camouflage with a cotton outer and a Goretex type membrane. The cotton is right soft and quiet, but is wearing well. Definitely worth the 30 quid.
I used to have some Barbour gaiters in green with a goretex type membrane, not bad but the lowers were stiff PU cordura which eventually wore through on the folds in the fabric.
The green army gaiters are quite good but the DPM ones are rubbish. Lots of stiff noisy material, poor cut and big gaps round the boot that let water up very easily. Not worth the cost in my experience.
I once saw some green ventile gaiters in a shooting/fishing shop, can't remember any details though.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
spamel said:
Berghaus Yeti Gaiters in bushcraft green, the best you can get!
Only if your boots are compatible.

Just a normal pair of gaiters, even if they're not gore-tex. Half of the material is over the boots and it's not a particularly sweaty area of the body. It's a bit like a gore-tex bergen cover, Why?? In case your bergen is over heating!
There are a lot of gaiters today that have the zip on the front which I find weird. Much better to have it at the back so that when you walk through long grass etc., the dampness won't get in.
I used to have a piece of bungee to use as the loop to put the foot through which worked very well. Better than a buckle or whatever.
Happy gaiter hunting!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
In defence of front zipped gaiters, I would say two things: 1. they are a good deal easier to get on and off than rear zipped ones (a distinct advantage if you also have to wrestle with crampons and rigid mountaineering boots); 2. the front zip is almost always covered with a velcro storm flap so water from wet grass or whatever cannot get in.

Yeti gaiters, or Yeti-style gaiters, are great if, and only if, you have the dedicated boots for them. If you don't, you'll have to consider doing something drastic, like sonic welding, to attach them firmly to your boots as they usually just flip up, defeating the purpose of having them. Fully stiffened boots make no difference to this. Even if you do have a dedicated boot and your Yetis fit well, the rubber rands wear out pretty quickly if you use them on stony mountain terrain. Added to this, the rubber perishes over time, making them worse than useless.

I don't believe that there is an 'ideal gaiter' currently available for all purposes but I would dearly love to be proved wrong!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE