how big is your bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i use a 45l pack for most of it which includes a tent (i do like a tent still less fuss than a tarp etc) this size allows my creature comforts
but i can squeeze down to a 32l OMM pack with my light kit which is my favourite pack as its sooo light to lug about and packed with features but bright blue so not very bushcrafty

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Hi, I use a Military green PLCE 120ltr Burgen, Its stuffed FULL...
I try to go into the woods with my son for three days / two nights once a month or so, work permitting, my son is 7 and carries a NI day pack so I have a lot of his kit too,..

(I always carry too much kit, But then I would rather carry too much than not enough)

We both walk about a mile to a mile and a half, any further and I would probably start to cut down on the kit a little... as its not light..

One Side Pouch =
Hennessy Hammock and everything need to set it up
Other Side Pouch =
Full of food and Bushbuddy / pots, pans kettle brew kit + Fire Starting Kit
Main Compartment =
Spr set of clothes at the bottom, HH Fleece ontop of that
1ltr Fuel 4black plce water water bottles, PWP water purifier, 2 x 24hr ration packs, Saw, Axe, Knife
Rollmat - Buffalo SuperSleeping bag ontop of that,
First aid kit and small radio tops it all off
In the top lid =
waterproof jacket, gloves and a hat / Flares
Front small pouch is another waterbottle / metal / plastic mug / brew kit

Its all very personal, I have spent 15 years in the forces perfecting it, and I still dont think I will ever finish modding it...

Last edited:

Belargehair

Mar 3, 2009
Whites Lake
I used to bring a 75L bag, and my wife would bring her 60L bag.
Then we got it down to just my 75L bag and a small one for pots and food stuffs (keeps bears out of my clothes/tent).
Now I just use a small green duffle bag with modified straps from the 75L bag and small food bag. WAY better.
The straps/zippers/internal stiffeners alone on the old bags probably weighed 10lbs.
The worst problem we have now is getting some smaller sleeping bags.

ghillieman

Dec 21, 2009
netherlands
This is my daypack;
Most of the time when going out, i wear a 35 liter pack, a dutch army one or a snugpack patrolpack.
In the side pockets, water bottle,
metal cup. toiletpaper, first aid kit, spork, folding cup ,small bottle of iodine and some coffee filters, saw, notebook and pencil, some fire starters.
Top pocket; sunglasses, metal match, lighter,mini maglite, lightstick, small sharpening stone ,some rope, chapstick, headnet, map and compas
main pocket; spare clothing, towel, cooker, food, fleecejacket,workinggloves
On the back outside a bigger knife, army poncho, sitting mat, i carry at the front a pocket knife and small binoculairs in a seperate pouch.
Contence may differ between summer and winter , i carry no sleeping bag or sleeping mat, if i would have to stay overnight, i find me a good place to cuddle up, pull out my fleece,sit on my mat and get in my poncho fo the night, i find this the best way to get trough the night without bringing a lot of sleeping gear.
When camping i take a small tent, sleeping mat, sleeping sack and all the stuff to make a decent meal, and make myself comfortable as possible.

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
35L Karrimor Sabre.
I have come to the conclusion that if I can't get everything in or on that then I am carrying too much and it is going to be too heavy to carry in comfort when walking.

For me, light is better than macho. :cool:

For extended stays out, (4 days plus, up to weeks) then OK, I'll take my old Karrimor 65L Annapurna II. But I don't want to walk far with that.

Rod

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE