How 2 whistle?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

uncle_stuffy

Jun 16, 2008
Brighouse
The other method you could try:

1 put index and fourth finger together (almost touching) using just one hand
2 insert two fingers into mouth
3 WIth tips of fingers push the tip of toungue almost double over (towards the top of your mouth)
4 Cloase lips gently around finger roughly at the first joint back from the nail (soft lips seal better
5 Blow out gently to create a small whistle.
6 Adjusting finger tip width, tongue position and lip seal will eventually get you whistling
7 Start blowing harder to increase the strength of the whistle

PM me if you would like some more info for this method?

Kindest regards

Laurence

uncle_stuffy

Jun 16, 2008
Brighouse
I have a sheppards whistle which is a piece of metal bent in half with a hole in it but I still find my two finger whistle louder. The whistle is laid on the tongue and the lips form a seal around the edge. Positioning the tongue near the hole gives different whistle pitches.

Kindest regards

Laurence

[/QUOTE]

Just as a footnote I can whistle loudly the way I've just described but I've always hankered to do an ear splitting whistle by just using my lips the way some shepherds do when working their dogs.

:)[/QUOTE]

J

jackmcmanus21

Its tough to do.....it took me years to master it. Once you do it once, you'll be able to do it forever though.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Haha, still cant do it, and feeling dizzy, guess I just need more practice!!
I do have my tounge pierced, wonder if that might be making it more difficult?!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ive just done it, my ears are ringing and ive spat all over my wifes laptop:eek:

The other method you could try:

1 put index and fourth finger together (almost touching) using just one hand
2 insert two fingers into mouth
3 WIth tips of fingers push the tip of toungue almost double over (towards the top of your mouth)
4 Cloase lips gently around finger roughly at the first joint back from the nail (soft lips seal better
5 Blow out gently to create a small whistle.
6 Adjusting finger tip width, tongue position and lip seal will eventually get you whistling
7 Start blowing harder to increase the strength of the whistle

PM me if you would like some more info for this method?

Kindest regards

Laurence

carla

Apr 17, 2008
shropshire
i remember trying so hard as a kid to teach myself to whiste with my fingers, finally got it, and its true you never forget. doing a huge whistle on a city street, to alert a friend or get a cab........funny as nobody expects a whistle like that from a female of the species.
carla

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looking at all the people on here who can't whistle and are desperate to learn makes me think that a whistlers workshop at the moot would be pretty popular :D not that I'd be much good teaching as I only know the one method which I've described already.

uncle_stuffy

Jun 16, 2008
Brighouse
Ive just done it, my ears are ringing and ive spat all over my wifes laptop:eek:

Sorry did i forget to say - practice on your own and try to avoid spitting on people as some people can be upset by the whistling-in-the-ear-whilst-spitting-over-their-face thing.

Well done Addo it not the easiest whistle to learn but is very shrill as your wife has found out

Mang

Settler
Taws6, curse your bones for reminding me of a failure from my schooldays-My therapist is costing me a fortune! :D

I was interested in the Acorn method because I know a variation on this. I must get a photobucket account sorted because this is a bit hard to describe but basically if you wet one palm and put both palms on top of each other at 90 degrees, then slowly turn them whilst curling your fingers. You are aiming to make an airtight squarish box with your hands. Your thumbs should be together like the Acorn whistle, you then blow on your thumb knuckles and it sounds like an old fashioned police whistle but a bit deeper.

If you do a warbled one it's good for winding Owls up at night!

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Can't do it like the one in the video with the thumb and middle finger. Think that's the first time I've tried it that way.

I can reliably whistle using index and ring fingers with the middle finger resting on my nose - only one note rising out but quite loud. Can sometimes do it with the two fingers from each hand where I have more range but it's far from reliable.
Murdo(the lad that taught me as a kid) could curl his tongue to the right spot and whistle that way without fingers. It was louder(kind of figures - no hand in the way) and he could get a tune out of it(albeit an annoying high-pitched shriek of a tune).

Just done three days of music festival. Lost my whistle on sunday for a while but it came back for the finale.:)

Mang

Settler
Taws6, curse your bones for reminding me of a failure from my schooldays-My therapist is costing me a fortune! :D

I was interested in the Acorn method because I know a variation on this. I must get a photobucket account sorted because this is a bit hard to describe but basically if you wet one palm and put both palms on top of each other at 90 degrees, then slowly turn them whilst curling your fingers. You are aiming to make an airtight squarish box with your hands. Your thumbs should be together like the Acorn whistle, you then blow on your thumb knuckles and it sounds like an old fashioned police whistle but a bit deeper.

If you do a warbled one it's good for winding Owls up at night!

Just found it on youtube albeit a slighly different way of making the 'box'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJjRw_lLl5s&feature=related

Mang

Settler
I've cracked it! I was sat at the PC and knocked out a whistle! The inlaws' Lab cross that we are baby sitting span round through 180 and stood by me, ears pricked up. It was hilarious and I can't decide if the look on his face was either 'What the hell was that?' or 'Did that come out of you?'

No more light headed, dribbly chin:D

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Great thread!

I'm still not a patch on my Granddad who taught me 30 years ago. I think where you might be going wrong is that you have to practise sitting on the stairs! Well it worked for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE