Horseburgers - what animals have you eaten?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
Apparently Tesco are now selling alcohol flavoured burgers.... New flavours include Red Rum?

Anyway, after all the bad press I'm not buying their burgers any more, I'm buying their meat balls, apparently they're the dogs *******s!

(Sorry, blame my Wife....).

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Interesting. Shark is one of the fish often used by unscrupulous fishmongers to substitute for a higher quality fish (meaning they deliberately mis label it) Including scallops.

Really? Shark being passed off as scallops? This is what scallops look like.

I've read of butterfish being passed off as tuna; notoriously in sushi, but also "unwittingly" by some fish counters in supermarkets or by some fishmongers whose wholesalers have been selling it also "unwittingly" because some fishermen have also "unwittingly" caught the butterfish when going out after tuna. Though how you can manage to catch a fish native to the Baltic sea when going after tuna is a bit of a puzzle.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The most unusual thing I've eaten is Coypu paté, .............................now you can try to persuade yourself that they're just a 'sort' of beaver but I see the critters daily & they are just ginormous slimey rats.:yikes:................managed to keep the keep the paté down but had to refuse the ragout :rolleyes:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I am suprised that reindeer has not made an apperance, I had it a few time when on a college trip to Finland a few years back, from what I remember it was quite a dark meat, like venison but not as stronge a flavour. Had horse in france and Russion too, just wish we could get it here, in butchers labled as such.

Cheers

Chris

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I am suprised that reindeer has not made an apperance, I had it a few time when on a college trip to Finland a few years back, from what I remember it was quite a dark meat, like venison but not as stronge a flavour. Had horse in france and Russion too, just wish we could get it here, in butchers labled as such.

Cheers

Chris

I don't consider that very unusual I suppose.

I've got a couple of reindeer steaks in the freezer along with some elk sausages (Euro Moose) and wild boar too.

That's just the usual stuff.

Do you know that the main reason that horse meat isn't eaten much in countries with Germanic influences in the past is that the pagan Saxons and Vikings used to sacrifice horses and then distribute the meat in feasts.

The church obviously wanted to discourage such beliefs so they made it taboo.

In Countries like France where they adopted Christianity from the Romans that wasn't necessary so they still eat it quite happily.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Really? Shark being passed off as scallops? This is what scallops look like......

That's what they look like in the shell.

But here's what they look like when they're brought to your table in a restaurant: www.recipe.com/recipes/seafood/scallops/fried

And here's what they look like in the grocery store or fish market: www.homecooking.about.com/od/foodstorage/a/scallopstorage.htm

They're never sold in the shell. Either pre-shucked as the photos in the link to the grocerys store or already cooked if in a restaurant. Pretty easy to cut shark meat to that shape.

Last edited:

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
That's what they look like in the shell.

But here's what they look like when they're brought to your table in a restaurant: www.recipe.com/recipes/seafood/scallops/fried

And here's what they look like in the grocery store or fish market: www.homecooking.about.com/od/foodstorage/a/scallopstorage.htm

They're never sold in the shell. Either pre-shucked as the photos in the link to the grocerys store or already cooked if in a restaurant. Pretty easy to cut shark meat to that shape.

Maybe in Florida, but in NJ they are occasionally sold in the shell, and in any case, I would recognize the difference between a piece of shark flesh and a scallop... i've opened and cleaned enough of them, and cleaned up the already-shucked variety often enough. I'd also recognize the difference in flavour between shark flesh and a scallop.

I never understood why shucked scallops in the US are always sold without the bright orange roe (also called the "coral")...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Maybe in Florida, but in NJ they are occasionally sold in the shell, and in any case, I would recognize the difference between a piece of shark flesh and a scallop... i've opened and cleaned enough of them, and cleaned up the already-shucked variety often enough. I'd also recognize the difference in flavour between shark flesh and a scallop.

I never understood why shucked scallops in the US are always sold without the bright orange roe (also called the "coral")...

Most of us can tell the difference in tatse as well. At least those of us who regulary eat it. But they bothe taste fairly good and i doubt if the tourists can tell the difference. Mind you it's illegal and I'm not advocating the practice at all. In fact quite the opposite. That said, it does still happen all too often.

As far the roe (or coral) i have no idea why it's not sold with it. Although I suspect there's no call for it here. As I said, we mostly eat our scallops deep fried.

But thanks. You've remended me of yet another food I've eaten; caviar (the cheap ones, granted)

Last edited:

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Interesting to read others experiences with meat! There´s a lot I want to try now after reading this.

These are the animals I can remember:

- Reindeer, my number one favorite!
- Moose
- Cow, ox and calf
- Lamb/Mutton
- Horse and foal; I can´t understand why we don´t eat more of this. It´s tasty and often has high quality compared to many other animals that we eat on regular basis.
- Venison and deer.
- Rabbit and Hare.
- Snails
- Pigs, but I don´t eat pigs anymore unless it´s an animal that has been raised outside under normal conditions for a pig. The difference in the meat is just to big to ignore.
- Goat
- Chicken, which I rarely eat anymore for the same reasons as the pig. I eat it if it´s served, but I don´t buy it myself.
- Lagopus/Grouse
- Pigeon
- Ducks and Geese
- Turkey (every Christmas or New years eve).
- A variety of fish (I live by the coastline) and caviar.
- Crab
- Lobster
- Shrimp
- Squid
- Mussels and Scallops.
- Whale
- A sort of very spicy Beetle. I don´t know what species.

And of course the occasional bug that I swallow every summer...

I´ve probably forgotten something now, but this is pretty much it.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
Canada
Hmmmm....Meat+Fire=Good!
Horse,Bison,Deer,Moose,Bear,Elk(my paleolithic diet ;) )
Shark,snake,frog,turtle,rock dove, grouse( my hunter-gatherer diet)
...and other odds and dods. :)
Cheers
Hungry for a cheeseburger Alex.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE