Horseburgers - what animals have you eaten?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
We're quite lucky in manchester there is an all you can eat mongolian buffet, they have EVERY kind of meat in there that you can imagine and you can eat as much of it as you wish. stuffed myself on bison when i went last. BUT going back soon to try the zebra!

Dave

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Balmain Bugs - very nice.

balmain-bug.jpg

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Most of the usual, Horse was good in Amsterdam, puff adder by a south African chef friend.

Bushwacker, you win! :yuck: I've seen some strange stuff, but that tops it.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Insects

Scorpion (covered in Chocolate)
Ants (covered in Chocolate)
Wood Louse (prawny)
grasshopper
locust

Dave

I'm going to have a moment of pedantry and say that scorpions and woodlice are not insects.
I could also argue that locusts are a form of grasshopper.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :)

Pickled slugs are my contribution to this thread. And dried mealworms from packets of birdfood.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Now while I have eaten a couple of strange things I think I would have to be at the point where its insects or boot leather before I ate things like slugs and snails. I must also add that I don't eat shellfish or prawns for the same creepy bug/snail like reasoning.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Kangaroo
bear tail soup.
Octopus testac (sorry) tentacles
birds nest soup
elk
bison
hare
rabbit
goat stew
alligator tails
ostrich
grouse
pheasant
squid
scallops
mussels
crab
lobster
sushi
gulls eggs

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
A mate of mine tells stories of falling on hard times living in northwest Scotland. He had to supplement his family's food with whatever he could catch when he was diving. " It was terrible" he said " The kids got really fed up of eating scallops and lobster" !!

Z

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
Yep, usual stuff and 'semi-weird' stuff.

I think the strangest for me would be a sheep/goat thing's (couldn't quite tell from the skull) brain in Kuwait City... Not really my cup of tea.

And, a lizard 'pickled' in Saki... As a drunk bet, so not sure that really counts?

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland
I had burgers in the fridge last night. I went to check them.....and they're off!!

Would I eat a burger from Tesco?
Neigh!!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I might be having Springbok at the weekend......

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Some of the foods listed here seem really seem too normal to be listed (most actually) but since the tone has been set that way, I'll continue but separate them.

Normal foods:

Beef
Lamb
Pork (domesticated)
Goat
Chicken
Turkey
Duck
Quail (wild and domesticated) and quail eggs (preferably pickled)
Rabbit (wild and domesticated)
Frog legs (wild and domesticated)
Deer (wild white tail)
Elk Summer Sausage
Buffalo (what you call bison; domesticated)
Crawfish
Shrimp
Catfish (freshwater)
Bream (freshwater)
Perch (freshwater)
Mussels (saltwater)
Oysters (saltwater) dozens of different ways but preferably dredged in flour and deep fried
Shark (saltwater)
Tuna (saltwater) canned and fresh
Mackeral (saltwater) canned and fresh-King mackeral and Spanish mackeral
Redfish (saltwater) fried and blackened
Swordfish (saltwater obviously)
Red Snapper (saltwater)
Dolphin (the fish not the mammal/saltwater) also called mahi mahi
Scallops (sea scallops and bay scallops)
Crab (Blue Crab, Snow Crab, Alaska King Crab, and soft shell Crab)
Salmon (freshwater phase) preferably Alaska Salmon
Tilapia (saltwater)

More exotic or less normal:

Conch (saltwater)
Tripe
Chitlins
Wild Boar (their taste isn't really predictable as they're omnivores and their diet changes week to week)
Squid and/or octopus (too chewy)
Steak and Kidney Pie (ate around the kidneys after trying one)
Several things in Saudi that just said "meat"

I'm sure I've forgotten loads.

Last edited:

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Oh, yes... I forgot to mention octopus. For me, it's a fairly ordinary food, I eat it so often. Either the small octopus in salad or sections of larger octopus tentacle either grilled (χταπόδι στη σχάρα) or stir fried (낙지볶음).

And squid, either small bodies stuffed with tomato sausage meat, or bigger cut into rings and cooked in Paella or in seafood salad or grilled (Σουπιά σχάρας), or cooked in its own ink and served with pasta.

I have realised that I have consumed the larval form of the moth Hypopta agavis. I managed five before I unnaccountably fell off my chair!
I've not been to Mexico, but I've eaten the gusano from the bottom of the bottle of mezcal a few times...

Last edited:

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Cooked in own ink - what is in the ink? Sounds massive unpleasant!

Squid or cuttlefish ink, known as "nero di seppia" in Italian cooking, or "tinto de sepia" (I think) in Spanish.

You can buy it in tiny little sachets in the supermarkets in France, and in the UK I would guess. In the US I had a 250ml jar of the stuff. It is very dense, very salty; a little of it goes a long way. I used it for making sauces or for colouring rice and pasta.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE