Horseburgers - what animals have you eaten?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
More of the unusual ones as I at most meats that are available in the supermarket:

Squirrel
Wood Pigeon
Deer
Grouse
Partridge
Hare
Rabbit
Crayfish
Squid
Fresh caught salmon(by me)
Duck
Geese

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
A few weeks ago whilst foraging with some Romanies I was treated to stay for the eve meal as an acceptance for my input into the day it was stew whilst eating it I had a nice big chunk of meat and was asked is I was enjoying it on my reply of yes a few chuckles later I was told the stew was road kill several pheasants which where obvious and a few birds I couldn't identify probably crows or alike but the piece of meat I was enjoying so much was apparently badger :naughty: I had the last laugh when I asked for more :)obviously not the reaction they were expecting :lmao:

Reverend Graham

Life Member
Jul 2, 2012
Grimsby
When I came out of the Army, in '72, I worked in zoos for about 8 years, if it died, it got eaten :), just about everything, ate a swan that the RSPCA brought in after it hit a power cable, he said we could feed it to the big cats, nah ! ' get in ma belly ' tasted nice.

Still cook badger, fox, squirrel, any road kill, as long as its not too damaged, taking some badger biltong along to the Moot, if any one cares to try it.

The only caveat for me now is, I don't buy it.

Rev G

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Limpets, live off the rocks - it's like a fishy ice-pick between the eyes

Someone on here once admitted to eating slaters straight off the beach - I was deeply impressed.

P

Passer

Some weird and wonderful "meat" above:rolleyes:
The most interesting thing I can think of is, Chicken feet in China. As we were guests, we had no wish to offend!!

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
A few weeks ago whilst foraging with some Romanies I was treated to stay for the eve meal as an acceptance for my input into the day it was stew whilst eating it I had a nice big chunk of meat and was asked is I was enjoying it on my reply of yes a few chuckles later I was told the stew was road kill several pheasants which where obvious and a few birds I couldn't identify probably crows or alike but the piece of meat I was enjoying so much was apparently badger :naughty: I had the last laugh when I asked for more :)obviously not the reaction they were expecting :lmao:

:yelrotflm:yelrotflm

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Hmm.. badger. Could be a lot of that around soon!

I added kangaroo steak to my list the other day. In Bradford of all places.

Z

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Hmm...
Cow
Pig
Sheep
Goat
Horse
Rabbit
Hare
Roe deer
Deer
Reindeer
Moose
Kudu and a few other african animals I don't remember the name of.
Cobra
A wide wariety of birds, both wild and domestic.
Whale
Dragonflies
Grasshoppers
Wild boar
Fish, sharks and shellfish of many different kinds
Turtle
Monkey (or at least that is what I was told it was....)
Beaver (the dam building kind:lmao: )
Bear

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
It tasted a bit monkeyish....
It was just lumps of meat in a kind of stew I was served in a hellhole on an island between Sumatra and Singapore. It could have been chicken or dog for all I know, but I was told it was some kind of monkey or ape. The stew was spicy but not very good. I had only a mouthfull of it, and swallowed it with a six-pack of room tempered Tiger....

Last edited:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Still cook badger, fox, squirrel, any road kill, as long as its not too damaged, taking some badger biltong along to the Moot, if any one cares to try it.

I know it's probably anecdotal but isn't a lot of 'road kill' badger actually poisoned and dumped on the road to look like a car killed it?

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
No.

Short version: More cars on roads and more badgers than has ever been.
Round us, badgers are often dumped out of farm trucks on the verges, usually shot. It's about 50% to road kill round here but we've always had a good healthy population and now theres much less baiting going on, there are loads... culling happens, illegal or not, on individual farmers land.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Round us, badgers are often dumped out of farm trucks on the verges, usually shot. It's about 50% to road kill round here but we've always had a good healthy population and now theres much less baiting going on, there are loads... culling happens, illegal or not, on individual farmers land.

What proof do you have?
Why would somebody risk being stopped in their vehicle or risk being caught dumping them on a road?

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
I was going to post some comment about not getting to eat beaver at my sons end of year beaver bbq but realised how bad that could sound and could jeopardise my dbs status.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What proof do you have?
Why would somebody risk being stopped in their vehicle or risk being caught dumping them on a road?

Just guessing but I suspect the answer to your first question would be that TG saw the bullet wounds. And the answer second question should be obvious; to get the evidence off their own land.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE