Horse Hair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
hi guys and girls

long shot

im going to try my hand at making some horse hair fishing line to go with my home made fly rod and reel. do any of you have some knocking around or even a pony that needs a trim? happy to offer trades (got lots of buffalo horn and some bits of antler) and/or postage. thought i'd ask you all before i consult evilbay

cheers

simon

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Not got any myself (could do with some if you get more offers than you can handle) but please note that you only want tail hairs from male horses and from the manes of either sex as i've been told that the mares tail hairs is no good due to the chemicals it absorbs in the urine. it weakens it or something.

Sorry for butting in!

ATB

Tom

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Not got any myself (could do with some if you get more offers than you can handle) but please note that you only want tail hairs from male horses and from the manes of either sex as i've been told that the mares tail hairs is no good due to the chemicals it absorbs in the urine. it weakens it or something.

Sorry for butting in!

ATB

Tom

You're entirely correct, Tom; the hair from the tails of mares is no good for precisely the reasons you state............

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'll ask a few people tomorrow if there's anything available; mostly what's to be had from yards will be, I suspect, much too short for your needs but there may be some longer stuff around.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I got a bagful a while back from Swyn.
It's very sore on the hands plaiting it up....worse than plaiting a pony's mane, put it that way, and at least with a pony you can elastoplast your fingers; it's very hard to plait fine with elastoplasted fingers :(

That said, it made a beautiful, strong, fine line :D

What you could do is maybe contact the folks who supply musicians....the folks who make/restring violin, viola, cello, etc., bows.
They use long white horsehair.....and there's a lot of waste.
The short stuff can't be used on bows, but I don't know what they do with the waste, but at least some of it ought to be long enough to plait up well to make a line.

atb,
M

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Once munkiboi has got absolutely all he wants, if any one has some more spare I'd be gratefull if they'd let me have some. I'm after stuffing grade and some longish stuff to make some cordage, for a sling amongst other things.

ATB

Tom

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
ill see what i can do no promises :p
Once munkiboi has got absolutely all he wants, if any one has some more spare I'd be gratefull if they'd let me have some. I'm after stuffing grade and some longish stuff to make some cordage, for a sling amongst other things.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
No worries, but thanks!

They dug up some what look to me like leather sling pockets at the digs at York but the consensus of opinion is that the holes in some are two small for hemp or flax cordage strong enough so Id like to try horsehair/bowstring type stuff. Currently I'm assuming you need a lot les diameter for the same strenght.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE