Exotac-style repair kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

photonician

Jun 30, 2015
United Kingdom
I've liked the idea of the Exotac Ripspool mini repair kit (https://heinnie.com/exotac-ripspool) for ages, but I've been too tight to pony up 30 quid for one. If you can't buy it... bodge it: the Mk1 mini repair kit!

PXL_20220109_120915955.jpg
A simple bit of aluminium rod that was knocking about the shed, with a tapped hole and a bolt, combined with a sewing machine bobbin. Complemented by some lime-green flavour duct tape and some kevlar microcord, and a micro paracord lanyard.

PXL_20220109_120858041.jpg

The needle holder that the Ripspool has will have to wait until I have access to a drill press or a lathe, every attempt to drill the rod to make a space for the needle either resulted in broken bits or the edge of the rod blowing out due to wonky hole positioning... I have a few more ideas for Mk2.

Last edited:

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Nothing wrong with taking a bit of inspiration from something expensive, and producing a much cheaper "tribute"!
Excellent work.

Sent from my Nokia T20 using Tapatalk

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
My biggest issue with Ripspol is the needle. My repair kit is a small ziplock bag with tape, glue wire thread and CURVED needles like those (can be bought on ebay or in poundshop):

Imagine trying to hand saw a boot, tent or curdura rucksack. Bend needles and my mini multitool to hold it works beautifully. Straight needle is better than nothing but is much harder to use.

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Nice, got the nogging jogging.

Does anyone know if some Chicago bolts are hollow all the way down? Eg
That bolt is made from carbon steel so not ideal, but would just need a pin cushion to protect the points.

Edit: Or better there are hollow aluminum standoffs/spacers with m3/m4 threads both ends. Seem a popular quadcopter part.

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Even cheaper, a Chupa Chups lollipop stick. 82mm plastic tube, around 4mm OD and 2mm ID.
Might even get 1cm bobbin and 2" duct tape wound on on without having to eat the lolly first :laugh:

photonician

Jun 30, 2015
United Kingdom
A cotter pin is a great idea! Wish I'd thought of that .. I'm waiting on some more hollow material for the Mk2 version, still can't drill a deep enough hole to add needle storage without blowing through the side of the bar stock I have.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Definitely NOT a finished product but I had a play today finding what fitted inside what else etc.

Came up with this which WILL be getting some upgrades and suitable finishing off.

I think the aim will be to get some insulation tape , wide duct/tank tape , needles and high strength Gutterman reel on a spool and ideally a Lighter in the kit to deal with Paracord issues.

I think I can make the whole project a lot neater and smarter.

Thoughts?

s1.jpg
s2.jpg

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

s5.jpg

s6.jpg

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Definitely NOT a finished product but I had a play today finding what fitted inside what else etc.

Came up with this which WILL be getting some upgrades and suitable finishing off.

I think the aim will be to get some insulation tape , wide duct/tank tape , needles and high strength Gutterman reel on a spool and ideally a Lighter in the kit to deal with Paracord issues.

I think I can make the whole project a lot neater and smarter.

Thoughts?

View attachment 71740
View attachment 71741

View attachment 71742

View attachment 71743

View attachment 71744

View attachment 71745
Great idea. Someone gave me a mini fishing kit in an M&M tube. Same idea.

Reactions: TeeDee

photonician

Jun 30, 2015
United Kingdom
So i finally managed to get some time to make the mk.2 version... Switched to a length of aluminium tube this time, and tapped some threads in either end. Two spools this time, one with microcord and the other with some waxed thread. Needle is stored in the tube.

Still have some issues with attaching the bolts to the spools, i've used epoxy for the time being, but I think a longer bolt and nut will work too.

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-06 at 1.36.59 PM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-06 at 1.36.59 PM (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-03-06 at 1.36.59 PM.jpeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE