Hornets eating my shed!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
......and queen wasp nesting inside.

No real reson for this thread.

Think the queen wasp may have to move on though as i need to work in here!

And has anyone else got the big hornets eating there wood yet?

And is it the queen hornet i'm seeing?.....isn't it too early for workers yet?

Mojo

Last edited:

aeveling

Dec 2, 2006
Salisbury
Ive seen a lot of wasp activity in the last few days around my house. Much more than I would expect in mid April. My neighbour is dealing with a wasp nest as I type this. I don't mind them but sometimes they just get in the way. Like last autumn when i was having a wood burner fitted. The guys found a large wasp nest in the roof space by the chimney and as one of them was allergic to the sting they had to stop working after havng done about 99% of the work. Rentokil couldn't get their ladders up there so in the end I went out of a skylight and crawled out on the roof apex with several cans of fly spray. It was like a 1980's video game - blat one on it's way in or on the way out - easy really, just had to be careful not to fall off of the roof. Every so often a swarm would build up and it was 2 cans at full blast! Got them all after about an hour and the chimney cowling was eventually installed. I wouldn't usually kill them - they have a purpose - and they are quite interesting when they come to remove a portion of my fence to make their nest.

Andrew.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Robin, i have a rubbish pic of the hornet.....will load it later.....hoping to get a better shot come dusk.

On the wasp front.....she's back!.....removing the nest was not enough.....

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
utf-8BSU1BRzAyNjItMS5qcGc.jpg

The baton the hornet is on is exactly 45mm.....so it it big.

It had dusky brown markings on its abdomen..like its thorax but the photo shows up more black

Mojo

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I have hornets( & wasps) nest under the roof tiles every year, they occasionally come into the house when the windows are open, I've never had any problems & find them less aggresive than wasps. In the autumn I leave a large container full of sugar & jam which keeps away from us.
I remember once in the corsican mountains, I flipped over a large flat stone & there all bundled together was a mass of writhing hornets, it took a second or so to realise what they were, as I had never seen black ones before, & I must have run 100 metres in less than 5 seconds, seeing that they hadn't come after me, I slowly walked back to take a better look ( shaking like a leaf) & maybe try & put back the stone, as I approached they started to 'agitate' & spread out so I thought it would be a good idea to clear off. I think it was the cool temperature (15° c) that kept them nailed to the floor.
If there is a nest that you have to pass regulaly, I think it might be wiser to slap a demolition order on it now rather than later, on a cool morning just take off the nest & put it elsewere, then they should start to build another hopefully somewhere else. I believe they make new nests every year & don't use the old ones, but I'm not an expert.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I'll be interested to see if we have a good entomologist who can tell us if it is definitely a queen. Certainly in Derbyshire I have yet to see any worker bumble bees or wasps but not sure when they first hatch in Hertfordshire.
Wikipedia says
"The queen measures 25 to 50 mm (1–1.4 in) long;"
so they vary a lot in size but since 50mm is 2" not 1.4 lets take it with a pinch of salt.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Plenty of wasps around in Lincolnshire at the moment - I think the eraly warmth has started them moving

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
had a queen wasp in the kitchen the other day, BIG thing it were. good inch long and bulky. defo a wasp mind.
used the kids butterfly net to snare her and then chucked her outside so go eat some insects ;)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'll be interested to see if we have a good entomologist who can tell us if it is definitely a queen. Certainly in Derbyshire I have yet to see any worker bumble bees or wasps but not sure when they first hatch in Hertfordshire.
Wikipedia says
"The queen measures 25 to 50 mm (1–1.4 in) long;"
so they vary a lot in size but since 50mm is 2" not 1.4 lets take it with a pinch of salt.

Ok, I consider myself a decent entomologist, and I'd say that the picture is of a wasp rather than a hornet (which are usually redder/orangey in colour). Whether it is a queen I can't say since there isn't enough detail in the picture to even tell what species it is (but common wasp is my guess). Nonetheless, on size alone, it might well be a queen. I can't be more certain than that.

yerbache

Forager
Nov 30, 2010
Bridport
The ones that emerge this time of year are the ones that have overwintered - which are the queens, so they are a fair bit bigger than the regular workers and they'll be looking around for somewhere to start the nest. What you have there is a wasp, a hornet is bulkier, reddish-brown and about half as big again

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Wasp.....nah......I'm supper happy it is a hornet.

The colour as described in my post is dusky brown.
I have lived a country life for 30 years and am pretty happy in identifying queens wasps.

The second reason I'm happy with the hornet mantle is that less than 2 foot away (on the shed door) was a queen wasp.....
How do. I know she was a queen wasp....well she was building a nest.....it had about 5 cells in it and and she was laying an egg in each one.

Yes she was thinner and sleeker that the hornet.....and she was black and yellow......I have already stated the photo does not show the true colour of the hornet. The only part of the hornet that looks close to the true colour is at the centre of the thorax.....it is brown when you zoom in.

So the question is still....seeing as the beasty is taking off from a 45mm baton...is it a queen or not?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Could be then. A closer look at the pic does look brown, and the broad yellow stripe behind the eye also suggests hornet according to my book. I'm still hesitating because your pic shows a distinct yellow line at the front of the abdomen which my book doesn't show on a hornet.

Still, I'm going to go with your description, since you actually saw it. So, is it a queen? At this time of year, probably.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Definately hadsomething chewing in my shed this weekend...didn't get to see the blighter, tucked in some corner, but when I do, think I'll evict it...I'm the only one who makes chippings in MY shed...

yerbache

Forager
Nov 30, 2010
Bridport
Wasp.....nah......I'm supper happy it is a hornet.

The colour as described in my post is dusky brown.
I have lived a country life for 30 years and am pretty happy in identifying queens wasps.

The second reason I'm happy with the hornet mantle is that less than 2 foot away (on the shed door) was a queen wasp.....
How do. I know she was a queen wasp....well she was building a nest.....it had about 5 cells in it and and she was laying an egg in each one.

Yes she was thinner and sleeker that the hornet.....and she was black and yellow......I have already stated the photo does not show the true colour of the hornet. The only part of the hornet that looks close to the true colour is at the centre of the thorax.....it is brown when you zoom in.

So the question is still....seeing as the beasty is taking off from a 45mm baton...is it a queen or not?

No offence about your identifying abilities meant - just looks like a queen wasp in the pic

Jolyon

Life Member
Feb 1, 2010
wokingham
In Hampshire we are 'blest' with plenty of hornets, and for that matter wasps,
All of our Hampshire hornets are a very definite burnt umber /orange. All I would say is that it does not look like any hornets I have seen. Also no way near big enuogh!
Simplest way to find out is set a wasp trap of thick syrup. If it drowns it is a wasp. If it pulls itself out like a t-rex from a tar pit, suck itself clean smiles at ya and flies off it is a hornet ;- )
Our hornets are very docile we usually have 3-4 flying around daily over the summer (2 today) and have never had any issues.

F**king bumble bees on the other hand how can somthing so fluffy have such an attitude problem!.
lol

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Aye....i'll ask it to attend a line up next time ;)

Will get better pics in the next couple of days if i can keep it entertained long enough.

Mojo

Jolyon

Life Member
Feb 1, 2010
wokingham
If you could get it to pose over a clour chart next to a ruler it would help...lol...
Markings look hornet to me... colour doesn't but as you say not accurate.... as for Queen?... well that is all down to size? i would say ours our 30cm long but i have always be accused of exageration on size..;-)
seriously 2.5 to 3.5 cm I would say is about right for the normal Hornets we get .. never to my knowledge seen a queen.. but I would imagine that would be 4-5 cm ... ???

am starting to think i am not helping...lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE