Still no hornets.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
No, that sounds just like a queen european hornet which is native to the UK and in my experience something to look forward to seeing and not at all aggressive. I was watering the garden last night with one hunting around my plants for a few minutes, lovely to watch and listen to.
Thanks for clarifying, I thought it was a bit far north even with climate change!

Sent from underground

Reactions: slowworm

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Found my first nest of the season today in someones outbuilding. Plenty of hornets flying around and quite load noises of them scratching about and chomping in the roof.

I also got hit in the face by one yesterday feeding on overripe figs in our garden, it didn't sting me and we both went on our way.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Yup, we seem to have more than our fair share of hornets this year. No stings but plenty of irritating batting against the windows. We have placed better guards on the beehive entrances. There are also quite a few wasp colonies out in the fields which the hornets will be raiding soon.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
We've got a couple of Hornet nests in the garden - one down an old vole hole! Beautiful creatures; I love them. I had one in the studio today but, luckily, if flew straight out again. I don't find them as aggressive as wasps and they don't come after my beer :)

I had a wasp sting on my wrist a week ago (picking berries, and didn't see it) - my arm was swollen up to my elbow, bright red, itchy and aching :( - it's only just cleared.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE