Horizontal zip bivi bag, who makes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'd like a new bivi bag, I need one that comes in a large size and I'd really like one that features a horizontal zip down the side so that I can get in and out easily, but also have more of the bag open when I'm under my hootchie.

So far I have found the Terra Nova Titan, a bit pricey I thought.

Any thoughts?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How pricey? Three layer goretex is under £4 a metre (I know where to look :) ) and some of the large toothed plastic zips are available cheaply too. The iron on seam tape is about 95p a metre. Drawcord? use paracord. Making your own isn't rocket science.

Cheers,
Toddy

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Toddy said:
How pricey? Three layer goretex is under £4 a metre (I know where to look :) ) and some of the large toothed plastic zips are available cheaply too. The iron on seam tape is about 95p a metre. Drawcord? use paracord. Making your own isn't rocket science.

Cheers,
Toddy

Are you taking orders for the Meet Up ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
MagiKelly said:
Are you taking orders for the Meet Up ;)

:) Hadn't intended to; I'm swamped with commissions as it is, and doubt I'll get the present lot clear by the New Year, but I don't mind buying fabric for you and bringing it along. I'll bring samples of suitable stuff with me for folks to have a look at. If you do want fabric, PM me, I'm shopping tomorrow for about 100 metres so a few more won't bother me . :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

fungy

Jun 15, 2005
york
how do sandbender, the wild country alternative to the titan is the scout, I've had a look at one there big enough for me and I'm the wrong side of a XL t-shirt. The price can vary between retailers(£50 - £75), but if you go on to there site, there are bargins to be had some times. Also the hood of the scout is big enough to store a 40ltr bag.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I still use my old survival aids horizontal zip bag, and that is well huge. Got to be over 8 ft in length, so you can fit a fair bit of kit in it. They did do a diagonal zip as well which is designed to be easier to get out of. Never seen one with a zip down the side though..

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Toddy said:
:) Hadn't intended to; I'm swamped with commissions as it is, and doubt I'll get the present lot clear by the New Year, but I don't mind buying fabric for you and bringing it along. I'll bring samples of suitable stuff with me for folks to have a look at. If you do want fabric, PM me, I'm shopping tomorrow for about 100 metres so a few more won't bother me . :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

Thanks for the offer but I was only pulling your leg.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
How about a Dutch army bivi bag? I think they have large velcro entrance? I've never seen one but I think there are one or two threads about them. :)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Beer Monster said:
How about a Dutch army bivi bag? I think they have large velcro entrance? I've never seen one but I think there are one or two threads about them. :)

Here are 2 piccies of mine. No velcro on this one though: only a full length zip, some press studs (poppers?) and taped seams.

bivvybag.jpg

closeupbivvyzip.jpg

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
weird, i got a big flap with velco to close my dutch army bivy. It has stubs to connect it to issue sleepingbag. This way there is only one zipper to open both the bivy and the sleeping bag. But wenn not used with the sleeping bag, thats a issue. Thats why i sewn in a long zipper there...

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Kathmandu trekking do a zipped bivi and will modify to your requirements. About £60. I've not tried one myself but I seem to remember Chris Townsend recommended them.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Thanks John- that's the one- it's quite an elusive link and doesn't readily come up on google.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
MagiKelly said:
http://home.freeuk.net/kathmandu/

That is also where I got my lightweight Tipi.
Is it this one John?
THE BASHA-TENT
This is possibly the ultimate basha. It can provide total shelter for up to 4 people, in a variety of modes, at minimal weight. It comprises a rip-stop canopy 3 metres square, a hi-tensile ally pole, a two-man groundsheet, pegs, and paracord. It can be rapidly erected as a pyramid, a tepee, and an open or closed ridge. It weighs just 3lbs/1.2kilos.
PRICE; £102.90
EXTRAS; DPM Basha-tent...£121. Extra groundsheets..£15.60. Bell-ends..£25.74. Ally-poles..£15.20.Baseplates £1.08.
The spire; converts walking poles to adjustable tent poles; length 13cms. wt 1oz. £9.75.
The one in these photos. Or was it custom made?

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showpost.php?p=102950&postcount=3

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE