Honey stove versus cheap eBay lexada

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Maxsdad

Feb 22, 2015
Morpeth
Hi all,
I have been looking at buying a honey stove but at £38 it seems rather expensive compared to the lexada stove which you can get on eBay for less than a tenner. Whilst it is obviously a cheap Chinese copy is it any good ?
Steve

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I don't think you'll regret buying a Honey stove.. they're a versatile stove with the different types of fuel you can use in them.

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
I like my honey stove although when I first got it I was ready to throw it in the bin until I discovered laying it on it's side to assemble makes it a doddle.

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
I have moved in the opposite direction. First stove was a Firebox. Brilliant, bombproof but heavy. So I invested in a honey stove to save weight. I love it to bits, but it is a bit fiddly to assemble. Very solid once done though. Now I have found myself wondering about a lexada as a compromise between the two!

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
I've had both here is my take for what it's worth. Nothin wrong with the cheap foldy up ones there are several on the internet. The steel is cheap agreed but it does the job. I have boiled many cups of tea on my cheaply fold up one but a meal ??? Not so sure. I agree the Honey stove can be fiddly but it does get easier with use. I find it quite therapeutic but I wouldn't with gloves on or with cold hands. In situations like these I imagine life or death. When the chips are down. If one was going to cost a hundred pounds which one would I choose between the two. If I was off on a two week trek which one would I grab. For me it would be the Honey Stove.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I'm another fan of the honey stove. It's very versatile given that you can use it as a wood burner or with the trangia adapter or as a smaller pocket stove with hexi. I've used mine on almost every camping trip over the last couple of years now and have found it to be robust and like using it as my main camp fire when solo camping (saves all the mess when clearing up). It works very well in conjunction with the Coghlans pack grill as it enables you to cook with a couple of pots/pans over the top.

Personally, I don't think its that much of a pain to assemble. Before I brought mine I watched a couple of reviews on youtube and they offered some good tips for assembly and have followed those tips ever since.

I also like the fact that it's designed and made in Britain, quite a rarity in this day and age!

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I use the hinged one shown with a mini trangia. It fits in nicely and is more windproof than the stand that comes with it. Never bothered using twigs etc...

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE