Honey on Tour (Could become pic Heavy...)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Cheers chap ~ wouldn't have been able to take that pic* without your help ~ or, for that matter, Martin's.

* Similar, yes. Exact, no :lmao: .

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
Oh yeah, I've got a Honey too!

IMG_2465.jpg

IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
It's not a new idea and I can't claim credit for it ~ but thanks for the kind words anyway.

... how much fuel was used?

It was a bit of a play to see whether it was possible ;) . One and a half (ish) fills of an old but 'legit' civvy trangia burner was more than enough to bake the pie, heat the veg (tinned on this occasion ~ fresh would take longer) boil water for a decent sized brew and for washing up :cool: .

I'd say that it could have been done on one filling ~ lots of time, heat and fuel were lost due to fettling and adjusting.

The one thing I definately need to look at improving is the method of raising the item being baked. This pie was sitting on three similar sized stones and, due to the amount of extra space, the pie tin slid when I moved the mess tin :( and I gained extra losses on the heat, time and fuel use opening the mess tin to reposition the pie tin :(:( . I think a small rack would be a better option ~ and it would also allow the possibility of baking multiple items ;) .

Cooking time for the pie will be comparable with what it would be at home :D :D :D

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
It's not a new idea and I can't claim credit for it ~ but thanks for the kind words anyway.

It was a bit of a play to see whether it was possible ;) . One and a half (ish) fills of an old but 'legit' civvy trangia burner was more than enough to bake the pie, heat the veg (tinned on this occasion ~ fresh would take longer) boil water for a decent sized brew and for washing up :cool: .

I'd say that it could have been done on one filling ~ lots of time, heat and fuel were lost due to fettling and adjusting.

The one thing I definately need to look at improving is the method of raising the item being baked. This pie was sitting on three similar sized stones and, due to the amount of extra space, the pie tin slid when I moved the mess tin :( and I gained extra losses on the heat, time and fuel use opening the mess tin to reposition the pie tin :(:( . I think a small rack would be a better option ~ and it would also allow the possibility of baking multiple items ;) .

Cooking time for the pie will be comparable with what it would be at home :D :D :D

Hi I no this is an old thread but have you thought about taking the top and bottom off of a small tuna fish can and sitting the pie on top of that?
Or have I got the wrong end of the stick completely when you wrote about finding a way of raising the pie?lol

Cheers
Steve

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Or have I got the wrong end of the stick completely when you wrote about finding a way of raising the pie?lol

I came up with a method to create a raised rack a while back ~ but kept forgetting to sort some pics for the thread :eek: .

Now rectified :D ...

The rack in place ~ with a lonely oxo cube to try to show the height of the rack when in place. The rack allows for the choice of cooking either one or multiple items :cool: . The corners are bent to form legs.

An added benefit of the rack is that, with the application of a silicon baking sheet, I can also bake soft items (cookies, damper etc) should I so wish :D .

When not in use the rack and sheet 'live' on top of everything else ~ again the curved corners allow an easy fit to the lid. Due to the flatness they take up very little space (always a good thing :D) .

Mileage may vary, but it works for me :cool: .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE