Homemade Tarp

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
That looks like a brilliant tarp to me, but I cant help but wonder how did you attach the top loops for the ridge line
Could we get some close ups of that?
Really good looking tarp
Yours sincerely Ruud

Not sure how well this sketch will show up but...

tarploop.jpg

the tarp is made of 2 sheets stitched together lengthwise so the join runs down the centre under the ridge line [not sure about the waterproofness of this bit]. the loops of webbing are trapped inside the join of material and stitched together, so the loop is sandwiched between a layer of nylon on each side. Hopefully this explanation will make sense.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
hmm I can see why you arent sure about the water tightness, in fact actually that was what I was wondering.
but perhaps I know of a method in which it would be watertight
it is also used allot in the seams of the more expensive tents etc, it is actually exactly the same as with your seam but the "Sandwich" is made longer then folded so that three layers will touch each other sort of like a cinnamon roll and then its stitched.
I will draw up what I mean and post it in a few..... and here we go
DSC06283.jpg
But that wont be necessary unless it leaks, so let me know how the tarp/sandwich performs under water.
I'm very curious how it will perform
Yours sincerely Ruud

Last edited:

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Well after using this fairly often in conjunction with a hammock, I decided to lengthen it by about 1.2 meters as it wasn't giving enough coverage at the ends of the hammock...

2011-12-25135906-72_zps86286348.jpg

That slightly lighter section on the far end is the new lengthened piece, I added a further set of guy points on the sides. Took it to the park with the kids the other day - believe it or not but there are three kids in the hammock under there...

I could just about stand up under the left hand end of the tarp [5,11], I'm always surprised how much the ridge line sags and how difficult it is to get it really taught.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
The fabric was 1.1 ripstop nylon and seems to be holding up pretty good although to be honest it hasn't been used in very harsh conditions. I've treated it a couple of times with fabsil. The first time I used it in a heavy rain it did let through a fine 'mist' of water vapour, but that was a long time ago and it only had one coat of fabsil back then, I have a feeling that if the rain is very heavy it'll just force it's way through as the material is really quite thin. But I'll just keep on putting layers of fabsil on and give it a test with a hose come the summer.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Wow, hand stitched! I made something similar recently with a machine and it nearly drove me bonkers!

Did you use just neat Fabsil? I found that a decent dollop of Silicone will dissolve well in Fabsil so upping the waterproof ness.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE