Homemade Sharpening Contraption.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Far from finished but all the parts are there. I need to strip it back down and tidy it all up then re-assemble but I'm too busy using it just now and it works great. All metal construction. The main body and legs are 14mm solid square bars,the rest is steel and brass. Cam locking sliding jaw. Sliding lever locking gimbal can be swapped with the flat bar at the rear for bigger blades if needed. Fine tuner and a few other bits n bobs. Weighs in at 15lb. Can be rigged to take most stones. The one in the pics is a 6" x 2" Ezee Lap 250/600 combo.

Comments more than welcome. Thanks for looking.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Thanks for the kind words guys!

I did go a bit mad on the overkill front with this but I enjoyed every minute! The idea had been rattling around my head for a couple of years so I had to get it out of my system.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That really is a splendid thing; very well made and looks bombproof, a very professional and classy item. Hats off to you, sir!

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Hah

That definitely seems a machinists' answer to the problem. :D

Very nice.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
A thing of beauty. You should patent it and offer copies to knife manufactures for display purposes. People with skills like you, make this Country great

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
that is a beautiful piece of work, but I can't help thinking that maybe you have a little too much time on you hands! :lmao:

I've recently started to use a milling machine and lathe, after buying new toys during the summer. Already I'm looking at problems with a machining eye instead of a smack it and grinder attitude :rolleyes:

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
that is a beautiful piece of work, but I can't help thinking that maybe you have a little too much time on you hands! :lmao:

I wish Dave! Working 12 hour shifts,kids,nagging wife,mother that watches too many decorate your house programmes etc.etc.etc!!

I'm just hoping I can find the time to finish this thing!......And the half finished knives I've been working on for the last year!:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the positive comments guys! Very much appreciated!!

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Wow now that is a serious bit of kit. I wonder how easy it would be to substitute the stones for a file to turn it into a profile jig for putting a grind on knife blanks?

It would be pretty straightforward but I've already got a filing jig. All my bevels are done on it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE