Homemade Gabardine Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave_the_Pilgrim

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2009
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
I got the idea from an article in this month's Walk magazine which has an article on 2 guys who belong to the Band of Historical Hillwalkers. They had gabardine smocks made from vintage WWII cotton gabardine which they claim is waterproof as well as windproof. I think I'll give the stuff from Ebay a go as it's cheap enough and as I say above, I can always wash it in Nikwax. Most of the rest of their gear is wool based.

Hi,
the smock to which you refer is shown on the Mt Snowden walk on the gallery page. The chap in question (on the right) is wearing a period cloth smock made in the WW2 'SAS' pattern but not of gaberdine, it is Burberry cloth. Made by Steve Kiddle of Pegasus Militaria. He always buys up old stock of cloth and uses them as and when. In this case, the cloth was used to make SBS smocks for two serving Royal Marines who did a re-enactment of the Cockleshell Heroes raid in period clothing and a period (but modern and not quite original) kayak. He had a little cloth left over and also made one for myself. The Burberry cloth is waterproof and quite stiff compared to gaberdine. It doesn't breath so you only want to use it if the water coming from outside is greater than the sweat you are generating !!
To make gaberdine waterproof (ish) Nikwax it.
Gaberdine is an expensive cloth to buy (but not as much as ventile). To be honest, if you look at the time it would take to make one yourself (unless you're a seamstress) it works out more economical to buy one.

Cheers all,
Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE