Homemade Biltong recipe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A

Allseasons

Anyone ever tried Biltong? If you have not, then let me add my recipe so that you can all have a crack at makig your own super tasty, super healthy snack for taking in to the forest....

Ok, what do you need? About a kg of beef. A nice cheapo roasting joint from Aldi or summat like that. Some say surlion or rump steak but ive used lamb, goat, and who wants to spend tons of cash on meat that is only going to taste the same as the cheap stuff in the end anyway?

1kg ish of roasting joint beef
4 tablespoons of table salt
4 tablespoons of ground pepper
2 tablespoons of ground corriander
5 tablespoons of malt vinegar

What do you do now?

Cut the meat with the grain in to 1cm ish strips, taking the fat and sinew off. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a big pyrex dish. Do not use a metal bowl or wood bowl as this will spoil the meat. Chuck in your slices of meat making sure every bit of the dry mix covers all meat. Now pour in your malt vinegar, rubbing in to the meat carefully. Cover the dish in clingfilm and bung it in the fridge for three hours or so. Every hour give it all a big mix up. After three hours the meat will be a light brownish red colour. At this point take the meat out and pat it dry with paper towel.

Now put your oven on its lowest setting. Get some metal bbq skewers and thread the strips of meat onto them by one end so that they hang down. Make sure that the meat aint touching. Once all your meat is hung on the skewers place them in the oven. Leave the door open a crack to let the moisture escape or failing that put a layer of bicarb of soda in the bottom of the oven to soak moisture up. Leave your lovely meat to dry for about six hours. Check on it every now and then to ensure thag its drying out and not cooking. If the oven is too hot open the door to let the heat escape. To avoid this only put your only on at THE LOWEST TEMP POSSIBLE. Voila! Lovely gorgeous biltong! Once dry cut it into thin strips or just keep it whole, its up to you. Now, lets see if I can post some pics to show you........

Edventure

Aug 6, 2011
Herriard, Hants
Well done. Good to see another biltong fan. The great thing about making it yourself is modifying the recipes to suit. I add chilli to mine.

i use a biltong box to make mine, takes 3 or 4 days.

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
Here's mine ready to go in the oven . . . . a biltong box sounds good, did you make it yourself?

278.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE