Home made shooting sticks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi All,

Now that I have a permission, I need to add some extra stability in my air rifle shooting while out in the field. To this end I am going to make a pair of shooting sticks (rather than a tripod), and I was wondering if any of you good people could share pictures of your preferred solution - ideally home made - so I can avoid any common pitfalls, or re-use good ideas.

I know that some prefer tripods, but I’m looking at a pair of sticks for portability and simplicity.

Cheers, Bob

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I used a pair of shooting sticks for the deer stalking some time ago.
they worked fine with some practice.
mine were bought though, not home made. Still have them somewhere i think.
the biggest problem with any of these sticks (pair, tripod, quad) is the noise of them knocking together as you move.
It takes practice to manage them without getting in the way and tripping over them, carrying them in a way to easily deploy and silent/ quiet in use.

Reactions: bobnewboy

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I used a pair of shooting sticks for the deer stalking some time ago.
they worked fine with some practice.
mine were bought though, not home made. Still have them somewhere i think.
the biggest problem with any of these sticks (pair, tripod, quad) is the noise of them knocking together as you move.
It takes practice to manage them without getting in the way and tripping over them, carrying them in a way to easily deploy and silent/ quiet in use.
Thanks for the info. I intend to make them from wood with a hinge bolt a short distance from the top to make a V, wrap the upper V sections with leather or rubber self-amalgamating tape, and have a paracord or leather cord adjustable tie between the legs at the ground end to maintain the leg spread on hard ground. Hopefully the cord will stop the legs rattling together, but I can also introduce a thick leather washer at the hinge bolt to stop any noise there too.

Cheers, Bob

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Have you tried just a 'Y' stick? I appreciate it does not give you the stability of a tripod but it may be all you need for that extra accuracy.
It’s a good idea but I think an X stick will give far more lateral stability without much more bulk/weight. I think a tripod would be too much while roving around.

As an aside, I couldn’t believe how much shooting tripods are sold for. I think if I were to use one I’d adapt one of my perfectly solid, but much cheaper photography tripods.

Cheers, Bob

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've made a set using a pair of those green plastic coated steel canes you buy for the garden. I use a velcro strap to tie them together and a length of suitable pipe insulation near the top of each cane to rest the gun. You might need to trim the insulation a bit to get a good mount for the gun.

Reactions: Stood and bobnewboy

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Bob, make a bipod, use hazel, if they knock together the sound is natural, ive used them for years, deer stalking woods and hedge rows, the neat trick is to have a long length of para cord just longer than the sticks attached at the cross point. If you stand on the cord, lean forward into the sticks. it acts like a third leg, you need to practice a bit, once you get the hang of it, it’s quite easy to use.

Reactions: Chekmate and Stood

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
a nice cushion that's fairly cheap and smallish is tennis racket handle tape/ wrap.
any sports shop will sell them in an array of colours.
soft and giving without the bulk.
i used that on my Y stick i used before the i 'upgraded' to the pair.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Bob, make a bipod, use hazel, if they knock together the sound is natural, ive used them for years, deer stalking woods and hedge rows, the neat trick is to have a long length of para cord just longer than the sticks attached at the cross point. If you stand on the cord, lean forward into the sticks. it acts like a third leg, you need to practice a bit, once you get the hang of it, it’s quite easy to use.
Oh, now that is a good idea. I can see what you mean in my mind’s eye. With the cord coming towards you, you pull the joint in the sticks towards you, at the same time downwards, and against the rifle at your shoulder. A more solid hold for nearly no weight penalty. Nice one! :thumbsup:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE