Home Made Bergen

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
Some time ago I purchased a Gelert 55 litre pack. However, it turned out to be folly as although the back system was really good, the bag itself was near unusable. The pack had two side pockets in odd ovoid shape and not even big enough to take a mess tin or a .75 ltr bottle... it also had two odd "waterproof" zips in the front which leaked and served no purpose, the list goes on - I could not even get my down schlafsac in! I thought it was about time to trade in my old army Cyclops Roc which has been with me for the thick end of 28 years and getting a bit tired, but is a very useful design and build quality.

So the Gelert was pretty much never used and hung on the door of the land rover being used to store "stuff". Anyway, I had some canvas left over from making an awning for said Land Rover and figured I could use the back system and add a decent usable bag made out of canvas and make it to my own design suitable for bushcraft and tabbing around Blighty and its neighbours.

The end result uses my home made belt pack system as the waist belt which can be used in two ways because of the great range of back length possible with the Gelert back system and the addition of pouches clipped to the bag to suit my needs (water, tools, cook kit, brew, first aid, tourism, basha etc). The finished article is as desired and usable to all my needs (I can even get my schlafsac in!).

So not a complete loss.....:)

I've posted some pictures at: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/116407774413027622942

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
verry nice always wondered what i should do with my very similar bag...
what grade/thikness canvas would you recomend specifically for a bergen?

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
verry nice always wondered what i should do with my very similar bag...
what grade/thikness canvas would you recomend specifically for a bergen?

Thanks, I used the same grade as is used for Land Rover Tilts (rag tops). I think it's called "top gun" canvas but had I not had this I would have scrounged some from the local scrap merchant. The belt pack was made with a cordura car seat protector (from Aldi £4.50) and an old sleep mat. The clips and webbing from salvaged old kit. The pouches (black ones) are Viper and as soon as I can afford to replace them I will as they are crap! I may even recycle the good bits and make my own.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
That is top drawer buddy, i like that . i have some good olive green canvas lying and have been threatening to make a couple of Duluth type canoe packs with leather straps etc.

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
by the way. I broke five needles on my Lidle sewing machine doing it - but they came free anyway.... Use needle point needles (rather than ball point) and check you tension, all new things I learned that I never thought I would need to know!

Also, I would recommend sewing eyelets rather than using metal ones as metal ones seem to pull through. Use strong thread and just blanket stitch around the eyelet hole. Mr Stitcher or what!!??

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
WOW!
top modding, Acorn62!
I love modular systems!
the colour match makes it look shop bought!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE