Home first aid kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Make sure you can access your med kit one handed, open it one handed, and use everything one handed, in the dark, under stress......
Just had a go at using an old trauma dressing before deciding to order some new ones. Opened and applied it with just my week hand and it was very easy to use.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Does anyone use tubular bandage for fingers (and presumably toes). It’s expensive for what it is but a very effective way of managing something that’s a bit more than a sticking plaster job. I don’t carry it but it’s in the home kit.

Reactions: slowworm

Falstaff

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
And what3words is the best thing to use to give a precise location if you ever need help
What3Words - The young lad who started it was on R4 today, and made the point that out in the wilds/countryside it's a lifesaver for the emergency services, better than a map reference. Especially for the horsey set who fall off in the middle of big fields.
I've been a bit anti until now - more apps on the dreaded mobile which I rather have off, trackers etc, but that has made me change my mind.

Reactions: Decacraft

Falstaff

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
Does anyone use tubular bandage for fingers (and presumably toes). It’s expensive for what it is but a very effective way of managing something that’s a bit more than a sticking plaster job. I don’t carry it but it’s in the home kit.
Standard stock in most Chemists.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Friday, I suffered a nasty fall up some stone steps and landed on gravel after crashing into a stone wall.
Winded and bruised, sprained wrist. Luckily had my fak with me, bunged a bandage on the wrist, with a comfrey poultice, (luckily, there was some nearby) and smothered myself in arnica creme, straight away.
Only slight bruising came through, hardly noticeable, and the wrist is OK now, just twinging now and then.
Arnica creme is de rigour in both my home and out in the world kit. I'm making comfrey oil to add to my kit. It's realy good!
Never had a sprained wrist and bruising heal so quick!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Heal soon. Hale soon.
Thank you , I'm fine and carrying on as normal. The bandage came off the wrist yesterday, and as I said, apart from the odd twinge, it's fine. The bruises you can barely see, and only knew they were there if I pressed the areas where they were. (Shoulder, arm and thigh.)
I'm realy impressed with the cream and amazed with the poultice. Nature's medicine is wonderfull.
Went to the garden centre Saturday, and bought some more herbs for my medicine garden, and took a root of comfrey home with me from the incident site, which is now happily planted in a large pot, along with some leaves to make comfrey oil, which is now percolating away in a kilner jar.
Can't find an arnica plant, though I did get some ecchinacia.
I've been learning herbal medicine as one of my new year resolutions, it's come in very handy already!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE