Home campsite

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Spent the lovely sunny day in the garden messing with my hammock and tarp. Hog gave me some of his whoopies which are much easier for me than the ones I had. The fir tree and the acer can bear my weight so I spent some time lying and enjoying. Olly the Cat came to enjoy with me, lying on my chest so it was impossible to get a pic of us!

The ridge-line is still a problem for me as I cannot reach high, or for more than 30 seconds, with the titanium shoulder. I've got round it here by tying the tarp to surrounding trees and using a centre-pole. This makes a pleasant setup but is not always feasible when I'm out. I think, too, that I may use the tarp diamond-shape rather than square. There will also be some judicious pruning!

All in all I'm pleased with it ... Just need a tin can for the top of the pole so it don't rub the tarp! Wonder if Hubby is having some ginger beer tonight ... ???

dataraja.jpg

I'm serenaded here by all 3 of our buzzards, the parents and last year's chick who stays on to help out till this one fledges. They've been circling the thermals right overhead as I lie in the hammock, playing and calling to each other.

In the tall thorn hedge about 20 feet away is a young crow who is just fledging. He squawks and chuckles and staggers about in the top branches and has achieved one flight from there to the barn roof about 30 feet away. I'm looking fwd to seeing him soon, they're always so smart and black and shiny when they're new :). I also seem to have a personal bumblebee here today. She's been inspecting my work and buzzing me comments and suggestions, not always complimentary! She's huge and golden-brown with a lovely gold stripe. She even sat on my arm while Olly was here earlier.

Oh for more summer days like today :)

behind every creative woman there's usually a very talented cat ...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Elen the verbal bliss you've painted there of your summer semi-slumber is sublime. I can picture the cat lazily watching all of this with you, ears rotating like radar to pick up the birds and solitary bee. Hope you had a nice G&T to sip whilst relaxing, you need that quinine to avoid malaria. :)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Just a thought - if you can't pitch your tarp high could you set up your hammock lower? Ideally your tarp should be closer to your hammock anyway to keep out wind and weather.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi elen the only problem for you stretching up is if no one else is there as you know we are all a helpfull bunch and you only have to ask if i want my tarp really high i ask the tallest person there as I'm only a shorty regards dave

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Nice report Elen.
On the rare occasion I've propped up a tarp in a similar fashion I've used a tennis ball cut in half to help protect the tarp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE