Home brew

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I home brew real ales from grain and after the primary fermentation most of the brew goes into a keg that I force carbonate with CO2 the rest goes into swing top top bottles with half a tsp of dry malt extract. It's probably not the best thing to use for bottle priming as you can buy proper priming sugar but I already have in my brewing kit for making yeast starters. I used to use normal granulated sugar before I had the DME on hand and to use that I would mix a batch with boiling water then use a syringe to put the correct amount into the bottles.

Just as a side note I would encourage anyone who enjoys a beer to have a go at home brewing. Don't be put off by how complicated some make it seem as it really doesn't have to be. I make up my own recipes with the malt and hops and don't bother with all the fancy calculations that can be made, hell I rarely even check it with a hydrometer now. I do however have a quick look at the IBU's of the hops as that dictates how bitter it is going to be. Out of all the brews I've done I've had none that are undrinkable and only a few that I've over done the bittering. Maybe one day I'll get myself organised and do a little tutorial for the proper brewers to laugh at.

Reactions: FerlasDave

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The brewing tends to fall into a routine after some practice. Just habits to be repeated. I made wine from 25 cases of California Zinfandel grapes. Power crusher and 2 x 45 gal primaries that I stirred with a new canoe paddle. 10 x 10 gal secondary tanks to be so "incredibly generous" at parties and BBQ with two gallon jugs to splash around.
I used rhubarb, raspberries, apples, what ever bulk fruit I could try. Bartered for some heavenly dark ale.

Hindsight decades later now, I still think that the most important thing to do is to take notes. Write down every last thing you do with every trivial detail for every batch you ever make. Of nearly equal value is to buy and use quality brewing equipment. Good stuff. Your brew might be predicated on those things.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Finally got round to giving this a proper go. Getting a nice gurgle from the air lick these past two days!

@British Red I found your video most excellent! Although I confess I have used a hydrometer. :)
What type of brew did you do? I made an all grain batch at the weekend, went for a Timothy Taylor Landlord clone. Already looking forward to the next brew day as I've harvested some yeast from the current batch to use on the next one which will be my own recipe.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Finally got round to giving this a proper go. Getting a nice gurgle from the air lick these past two days!

@British Red I found your video most excellent! Although I confess I have used a hydrometer. :)
Nothing wrong with using a hydrometer - that video is intended to minimise kit for first time brewers. Being more sophisticated is great!

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Today was bottling day!

I think it has taken a little bit longer than it should have due to being 1 or 2 degrees cooler but I now have 30 bottles in secondary fermentation and a few litres extra to enjoy now.

ABV should be around 4.8% if my calculations are correct!

Reactions: Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE