Home brew

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I managed to concoct an evil home brew in my university days, but that was so far back I barely remember anything but the headaches it induced.

So today I started afresh and in a little over two weeks time should have something approximating bitter. I've used a kit and have it all in a 5 gallon fermenting bucket.

But, there is a small hole in the lid of the bucket ( which I presume is there to syphon off for bottling) and I'm not sure if I am meant to put a stopper in there or just leave it. Surely it should be airtight for the fermentation stage, or should it?

Some of you knowledgable types must have brewed a few of your own.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
When brewing bitter it is not required to seal the hole, leave the lid loose- better still remove and use a tea towel to cover. The crust formed during the conversion of the sugar protects the brew.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, you don't need to keep it airtight during the primary fermentation stage (ie the first week or so). Keep it covered though - you don't want anything falling in.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
When I brew beer/ale/bitter I used a airlock on the fermentation bucket, solely so I could keep an eye on the process.when you listen to the bubbles popping it tells you that you have active fermentation, as they slow down you know what stage the brew is at.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
If your primary fermentation is going properly, it frequently produces too much CO2 for an airlock to cope with. I usually find that within 24hrs the brew is climbing out of the bucket and making a bid for freedom.

I monitor fermentation progress the "proper" way - with a hydrometer, daily. ;)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
If your primary fermentation is going properly, it frequently produces too much CO2 for an airlock to cope with. I usually find that within 24hrs the brew is climbing out of the bucket and making a bid for freedom.

I monitor fermentation progress the "proper" way - with a hydrometer, daily. ;)
I've never had it 'make a bid for freedom' :eek: checking with ahydrometer everyday isn't that a tad wasteful of the golden brew, unless of course you pour the sample back in, and risk contamination of the brew.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I reckon on about 75ml per sample, for 4-5 days of primary fermentation, so it's less than a pint in total. I can afford that out of a 5 gallon brew.

Are you using those little 6g packets of dried yeast? They really don't have enough active cells in them to get the right pitch rate for a 5 gallon batch. I either use 11g packs (such as Nottingham or Safale) or make up a starter bottle. I generally see good yeast activity within 6 hours of pitching, vigorous fermentation within 12 hours, and hit the end of primary fermentation in about 4 days. That's all at around 18 deg. C.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I reckon on about 75ml per sample, for 4-5 days of primary fermentation, so it's less than a pint in total. I can afford that out of a 5 gallon brew.
A pint, a pint! that may be just a bit to you, but that's almost an arm full to me :lmao:
I tended to use what ever I had to hand, 6g 7g or even 11g. (I've even used alcohol tolerant "champagne yeast", which resulted in what my father-in-law called a headache in a mug)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Champagne yeast? For beer? Tut tut tut... You'll be using bread yeast next, and fermenting in the airing cupboard. :yuck:

If a pint here or there matters, you need to brew more beer. I've got 4 pressure barrels plus a fridge full of bottles, so getting the absolute maximum out of any given batch becomes less important. ;) :)

Joezilla

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 26, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Just opened my first batch of meade this week. I can't believe but my buddy and I nailed it on the first run. Beginner's luck. I'm a beekeeper by trade and have had some horrible meade, but I'll put forth no false modesty on this stuff, it came out great!!

Gloriously toxic, I brought it to the lab party and got everyone tipsy.

DSC03682.jpg

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Well most of the beer is now gone, just the last few pints left to guzzle and I have to say this has been one of my more successful little projects. Even Mrs Walkswithdogs was impressed.

There will no doubt be more to come!

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Delved into the archives for this one… But as I’ve considered trying a home brew if my own I thought there must be someone on here who gives it a go. (Surprised that this is the only thread ;-) )

If anyone here does brew though. I’m wondering about the second fermentation and bottling? Am I right in thinking that once the gas’s stop and you bottle it it won’t pop the bottles apart? How is this then a “fermentation stage”??

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
If you follow a recipe then the priming sugar/malt shouldn't pop the lids off or break the bottles. Don't be tempted to use more, I did once and yes, bottles can explode.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The usual is to feed the beer about 1tsp of sugar (or whatever) per pt when bottling; the remaining yeast will feed on that and generate CO2.

Or you can be a lazy git and keg the stuff with forced CO2 :)
I never use more than 1/2 tsp per pint - 1 tsp seems to make it foam up and disturb the sediment, but a lot depends on what temperature you serve it at

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
And the style of beer - I've been brewing some highly carbonated stuff recently.
And TBH, I calculate a sugar solution and dose according to the intended vols of CO2... But that starts to get a bit geeky.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Delved into the archives for this one… But as I’ve considered trying a home brew if my own I thought there must be someone on here who gives it a go. (Surprised that this is the only thread ;-) )

If anyone here does brew though. I’m wondering about the second fermentation and bottling? Am I right in thinking that once the gas’s stop and you bottle it it won’t pop the bottles apart? How is this then a “fermentation stage”??
I made a video on the subject that might help?

Reactions: FerlasDave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE