Holy God: I jsut found my new Holiday/Bushcrafting/Camping Destination

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
One word: Rumania

I have a friend who was just there and said it is probably one of the very few countries left that has absolute wilderness in Europe.
He said he hiked through parts that were so wild it was unbelievable beautiful, fire and camping No problem, bushcrafting, knifes, axes and so forth... all no problem.
Rumanians are extremly friendly and some of the viallages have never really changed since 100 years.
The woods are awesome and old and untouched, and hahah they still have brown bears :D
you are probably in real trouble if you break your leg up there, there are parts were no humans come throgh the whole year, but that's what we are looking for.

Here are some pics:

http://www.karpatenwilli.com/images/dia17.htm (GERMAN WEBPAGE BUT VERY GOOD FOR PICS)

como035.JPG

como036.JPG

como037.JPG

como042.JPG

como051.JPG

cheile02.jpg

cheile05.jpg

cheile24.jpg

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Without doubt it's certainly a beautiful part of the world.

fagaras_09.jpg

fagaras_03.jpg

That said, fire can be an issue, especially with the hotter and drier summers we are having.

Knifes, axes are less of an problem, but as in the UK, pack it away when your heading back to civilization :)

Romanians can be very friendly, particularly in the wilder parts, away from the towns and big cities, the language can be tricky though.

Some travel advice can be found at the end of this article from 'The Times'...

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/travel/destinations/europe/article3945016.ece

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
One word: Rumania

Aren't there vampires in Transylvania :yikes:

Thanks for the insight, I just had a look at the related Wikipedia entries. Reads & sounds like a good wild place to go!

Has anyone an idea about how many brown bears, numbers of other species like black bears maybe, what about wolves or cougars, moose, boar etc.?

Cheers
Mike

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
You can find some numbers here...

http://www.twp.org/cms/page1246.cfm

:) Cheers for the link! Will do some reading now!

No they've all moved to Bucharest and Budapest to begin careers in law and politics.

:D

:lmao:

Edit to add, quoted from that website:

The Transylvanian Carpathians are the wildest parts of Central Europe and their ecosystems are, in fact, exceptionally productive and diverse. These ranges cover an area nearly the size of West Virginia, yet they support about 2,500 wolves, 4,500 brown bears (same species as grizzlies), and 1,500 lynx, constituting one-third of Europe's large carnivores. In comparison, no part of the lower 48 states has so many carnivores in such a small area.

That is mighty impressive. In order to sustain such high numbers of predators at the top of the food chain, there must be a huge amount of large, medium and small animals to support these and the food chain.

This really is a wild place!

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
wow, that is beautiful, whe are you planning on going? anyroom for one more lol

That's going on my "places to go" list

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Looks fantastic, but I have one problem with it. You guessed, BROWN BEARS. Sorry but forget it.

Of more concern than either bears or boars are ticks!

Warm winters and early springs have been a boon to these blighters, incidents of lyme disease and tick born encephalitis are on the increase, even in urban areas.

Wear long trousers, check for ticks frequently and if you plan to sleep out under the stars, consider getting some inoculations.

:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE